Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a Bundy II on eBay for use when marching (Usually play a Big Bell Stone Series) and it needs a few repairs. I'm guessing it'll cost about 250 for a full re-pad, so tell me if that's reasonable to estimate. Also, how much would it cost to remove the lacquer? It's very patchy and disgusting looking. Got it cheap so I'm not disappointed with my purchase. The body and neck are ding-free and I got it for 100 bucks. So:
How much for a full re-pad?
How much to strip the lacquer?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, if I plan on getting it re-padded anyway, would it be worth it to use Ferree's cold strip to do it myself. I assume it would ruin the pads, so that's why I ask. None of the pads are good to begin with.

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,314 Posts
Depends who does the work and what EXACTLY gets done. A "repad" over thisaway is not the same as a "repad" over thataway; the word gets used to mean different things, dig? I'd budget 250-750 and take it a few places for a quote, and ask around in your area for who comes recommended. You'd probably rather pay a little more to get it done right than pay twice, right? Most likely you fall somewhere in the middle.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,597 Posts
Prices seem to vary a lot by geographic area, plus some techs are (understandably) reluctant to do a complete repad without doing an overhaul. And it is probably not clear exactly how much work (other than the pads) is needed. I would echo Matt's recommendation to take it to 2-3 of the more reputable places in your area, if that is possible.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just dropped it off, its running me 500 for a full re-pad, all dents removed, plus lacquer stripping.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,998 Posts
You must live near me.

Wait, no.......around here...... it'd be $1200....

IMHO...I'd get a second opinion...and also, I might recommend you nix the delacquering altogether. Get a repad and a chem- or sonic-cleaning of the BODY only...that should drop the cost a bit....and it'll make the horn look better 'nuff.....

...or, ask the tech if it really needs a repad, or if it can be made to play up and down well enough with just changing a half-dozen or so pads and leaving the rest to another time.....

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,983 Posts
You may have already decided to go with the "full repad" (don't know what it means in your repairer's case) but FWIW, all Bundy II saxophones that I've seen (every single one of them, of approx 20-30) had severely warped & wavy tone holes, poor build quality and lousy design of mechanisms (linkages, key arms, etc.). All of this means that a full repad, which includes the mechanical repairs necessary, is not especially cheap. There are exceptions, but locally people tend to pass on a Bundy II repair if it costs more than about $200. So often, instead of a full repad, people have the most repairs possible with their budget, if that gives a result of a decent playing sax. At least here, with the Bundy IIs I've seen, this has always been a better value than a cheap full repad without attending all other issues (though I've seen this done). However if you're willing to spend $500 on a Bundy II I guess it's even better, but might not be a great value in terms of total investment in comparison with what you have at the end (though that's subjective too, since I don't especially like the Bundy II regardless).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
I like the bundy's, they are a good student instrument. Here sight unseen I charge 295 for a full repad, a full repad includes all associated work to make it play as good as it can, that is tone hole levelling key swedging etc, only time it costs more is if the keys are so bad they need refabricarion or your instrument is full of dents and needs some major dent work.

For info I know of no one that offers a repad that doesnt do the associated mechanical work along with it..There is a difference between repad and overhaul as well.. example lacquer / springs

The price you say your quoted sounds like a good one

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I would not spend $500 on a repad for a marching band instrument. That might be a very fair and reasonable price for the work to be done - I'm just saying I personally would try to find some other option such as only replacing the pads that were the worst offenders, or starting with another sax. It's marching band.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Eat the $100 already spent on a junker, donate the horn to a tax-free church or missionary group, get a $400 (501)tax write-off and spend the remaining $400 in your budget on a good YAS23 or the like. There are a lot of decent horns around for less than what you expect to spend. The Bundy II with $600 in it for marching band? No way.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts