1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se-o4ZYVI2Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teiwwh_jzTI

I just brought one of these home. Not identical to the one in the video, but very close indeed, same maker, same model, same dark green Tolex finish, just some slight variations.

Needs one bellows return spring fixed and the catches that hold it in the open position have gone missing, but I haven't found anything else wrong.

Who needs those stinkin' electrons, anyway?

I am looking forward to using this with some of my all-acoustic old time groups.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I had to read that title twice. Switch the last two words around and you have something completely different. :yikes!:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,271 Posts
Your post caught my eye as I used to own an Estey electric organ. It was a weird hybrid of accordion and organ. The right hand played a 3 octave organ keyboard but the left hand was unusual. Instead of organ type keys, it had accordion chord and bass buttons!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,550 Posts
bontempi in italy created in the 70 a very hip reed organ ( Hit-Organ Bontempi). I had one too. It was my firt musical instrument when I was about 10.

Elka had electronic organ and electronic accordions in a shape of an organ.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Your post caught my eye as I used to own an Estey electric organ. It was a weird hybrid of accordion and organ. The right hand played a 3 octave organ keyboard but the left hand was unusual. Instead of organ type keys, it had accordion chord and bass buttons!
I just saw one of those about 2 months ago. I had never seen one before and the owner gave a quick demo. Very interesting to say the least!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,618 Posts
This post brings up sad memories for me. My grandparents had a giant Estey organ from the 1880's. Lots of knobs and knee boards that I never really figured out. I ended up with it because my ceilings were high enough. When I finally decided to sell it when I downsized, no takers. I had somebody come and give me an appraisal. Too big, nobody wants them, can't afford to ship. I took it into the backyard and broke it up with a sledge hammer. Ebony keys and some of the beautiful solid walnut went to a friend that makes high-end arts and crafts style furniture. Very sad.

I found some odd things inside. It apparently had been a hidy-hole for some kid. I still have the 1930's vintage package of sparklers. The access doors on the backside of it now cover the demand hot water heater in the house that I built (shown in the first picture here). Still sad.

Mark

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This post brings up sad memories for me. My grandparents had a giant Estey organ from the 1880's. Lots of knobs and knee boards that I never really figured out. I ended up with it because my ceilings were high enough. When I finally decided to sell it when I downsized, no takers. I had somebody come and give me an appraisal. Too big, nobody wants them, can't afford to ship. I took it into the backyard and broke it up with a sledge hammer. Ebony keys and some of the beautiful solid walnut went to a friend that makes high-end arts and crafts style furniture. Very sad.

I found some odd things inside. It apparently had been a hidy-hole for some kid. I still have the 1930's vintage package of sparklers. The access doors on the backside of it now cover the demand hot water heater in the house that I built (shown in the first picture here). Still sad.

Mark
If you want to hear some beautiful music and feel even worse, listen to the You Tuba videos posted by Rodney Jantzi who shows what you can do with a reed organ.

They still aren't worth anything, except to that small number of people who are interested in them for their musical capabilities.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes, that story saddens me. Nothing you did wrong - just a terrible situation. I'm glad you were able to re-purpose some of the parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts