Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,063 Posts
Yeah man! Everything Ernie plays turns to gold. Thanks for sharing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
Ernie is amazing in just about everything. Thanks for posting this.

·
SOTW Sleuth
231 Posts
The more I listen to Ernie the more intrigued I am with his sound and muscianship. He is my top player right now to listen to.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In this piece I love the way you can hear all the history and tradition in his playing but it sounds funky at the same time.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Finally,... somebody giving Mr. Watts due respect in here.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
wow, great stuff.
thanks for sharing!

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
I love that vibrato. He has such a singing quality to his high notes when he holds them out.
+1 to that. I have always found Watt's vibrato to be rather distinctive and beautiful sounding, since his earlier days with Lee Ritenour and Friendship. I always perceive it as being 'flowery' for some reason, I think it is a quite a fast vibrato generally.

In fact i just attended a workshop by Ernie Watts and Alan Broadbent, a few days ago. Ernie still sounds great, but his sound seems to have mellowed somewhat over the years. He also seems to not want to mention about his earlier fusion and pop era works, it's like he wants to distance himself from the many recordings he did in that genre.

He was playing his usual SX90R in black nickel, the neck was (I think) a Gloger, and he was playing a metal Link 13 ( 160 tip) with a soft synthetic reed, some brand that was no longer being made, around a size 2 - exactly the same set up as you see in the video here. From his short talk that day, it seems his first influence was Paul Desmond, and the next was Coltrane, neither of which I would have guessed from listening to him all these years. He even demonstrated some Coltrane type licks, and though his tone was not quite the Coltrane sound, he certainly knew some of the Trane's vocabulary. I has a short chat with him directly after the workshop, and found him to be friendly and approachable.

·
Registered
246 Posts
+1 to that. I have always found Watt's vibrato to be rather distinctive and beautiful sounding, since his earlier days with Lee Ritenour and Friendship. I always perceive it as being 'flowery' for some reason, I think it is a quite a fast vibrato generally.

In fact i just attended a workshop by Ernie Watts and Alan Broadbent, a few days ago. Ernie still sounds great, but his sound seems to have mellowed somewhat over the years. He also seems to not want to mention about his earlier fusion and pop era works, it's like he wants to distance himself from the many recordings he did in that genre.
He was playing his usual SX90R in black nickel, the neck was (I think) a Gloger, and he was playing a metal Link 13 ( 160 tip) with a soft synthetic reed, some brand that was no longer being made, around a size 2 - exactly the same set up as you see in the video here. From his short talk that day, it seems his first influence was Paul Desmond, and the next was Coltrane, neither of which I would have guessed from listening to him all these years. He even demonstrated some Coltrane type licks, and though his tone was not quite the Coltrane sound, he certainly knew some of the Trane's vocabulary. I has a short chat with him directly after the workshop, and found him to be friendly and approachable.
His neck is a "Schucht TN1". The same neck, that is used by Bill Evans and Dave Liebman. I have one too - it's killing!

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
His neck is a "Schucht TN1". The same neck, that is used by Bill Evans and Dave Liebman. I have one too - it's killing!

Yes indeed it is. Ernie mentioned a name which I couldn't quite hear clearly, he said it was some 'new' guy from Germany, so later I deduced wrongly that he might have said something like 'karsten'. Yes, it was a very interesting looking neck, in matt gold finish, and the octave key was engraved with some logo that look a bit like the Selmer logo, except it wasn't in blue color. Thanks for the information. His SX90R horn was also in striking condition, looked brand new from where I was sitting, about 8 feet away from him. He looks like a guy who takes good care of his stuff.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,256 Posts
Link 13 ( 160 tip) with a soft synthetic reed, some brand that was no longer being made, around a size 2.
hmmm, I would have guessed a harder reeds, about 3,5 or 4. To get the round sound on the high notes.

·
Registered
923 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts