Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
19,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the pleasure of seeing him last night at a rehearsal for about 2 1/2 hours. He is in town to play a concert tonight with a local Community College big band. One of the trombone players in our big band also plays in the college band and got me in to hear him. The man can play some alto. Wonderful command of the horn with great technical skill. Lots of ability in the altissimo range and while this isn't my cup of tea, I do admire anyone that can play up there. He would look over a chart and then play it without referring to it again. Fine player and very personable and friendly.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,020 Posts
Funny
I just did a search on him last night and was admiring his versatility (he's not exclusively a "smooth jazz artist") and as you say, the fact that his altissimo just sounds like part of the normal range of the alto sax!
Seems very devoted to education, inspiring young people etc. as well. I found his website very interesting.
I have to revisit the thread about "best living alto player" cause definitely he qualifies AFAIAC and I would love to hear him live one day.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I'm guessing you have seen the Eric Marienthal/Lenny Pickett thread just a few slots down from this one......

Eric is a great guy and top notch player. If you don't care for smooth jazz he can lay down great straight ahead jazz as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am a big Eric Marienthal fan! Saw him once in Banff during a trip and was abosolutely hooked!

Here is my Eric Marienthal Transcription of Night Rhythms :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts