Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some weeks ago I registered for an online music school: ArtistWorks.com

Eric Marienthal is the teacher in the jazz saxophon department and it's not expensive: less than 35 $ per month.
I have access to his whole range of study materials and a curriculum from first beginner to not too advanced player in video form, well produced.
Everything very detailed in small chunks, easy to digest.

It will not work for you pro players or semi-pros, but if you are not too much advanced, there is a lot of inspiration, basics, tricks, a whole practice routine which I like.
And most of all: Eric Marienthal is a super nice guy - besides being a player that I like and respect, especially for his funky stuff with Chick Corea electric band and his work with Chuck Loeb - the new CD "Bridges" is excellent (a kind of smooth jazz which is not too smooth..., just very beautiful, melodic and playful).

A special thing is their Video Exchange Feature:
I can upload videos of me playing a solo or exercise and Eric responds with feedback, well not too detailed of course but what is possible in 5 to 10 minutes, giving hints and constructive critique which is never harsh but always nice.

So if you are on a small budget and need some advice in the beginner to advanced range - this is a possible way to go.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Thanks a lot for this info. I signed up to the class. Looks very promising. Saw a nice interview / chat with Sanborn there. Cool!
Bjorn

·
Registered
97 Posts
Mister Lyrical,

Any further thoughts about your experience on Artistworks.com now that you've presumably been taking the video lessons for more than 6 months? Have you taken private lessons in the past and how does your progress compare if you have?

Thank you,
Brian

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HI Brian,
I have taken 3 month lessons in artistworks with Eric, which led to my positive review above.
It happened then that I found th music school of Bob Reynolds and I am very actively working along his teaching lines.
To compare the two I'd say Eric is the place for beginning to intermediate players who like to be supported with a working routine to structure their practice habits and be encouraged by Eric who is very patient and forgiving.

Bob Reynolds is a lot more challenging - while still being a very nice guy - a super clear teacher with well formulated guide lines, with a wealth of excellent videos, more leaning towards the medium to advanced and professionel players. I experience there a dramatic acceleration of progress and motivation - for me that is the place. It is 50 € a month for a ton of input. And he has every month a "Challenge" where you transcribe a small solo part (not on paper but by ears) and put your recorded homework on the site and get evaluation of Bob, that's fun and extremely motivating.

While I am super enthusiastic for Bob, I still think there is a place for Eric's school, depending on your personality and where you are.
I had online teacher (Tevet Sela) and some live lessons in person, but Bob is my place.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well, that complicates things in a good way. Apparently there are more online saxophone lessons available than I would have suspected. I know of Tim Price, Pete Thomas, Steve Neff and Artistworks (Eric Marienthal). I'm a novice at saxophone and have been considering online vs. local lessons. Currently, I'm thinking of taking the basics locally and see if I connect with the instructor before I consider online lessons. I do like the idea of recording myself and critiquing it so I may do that as well. Mister Lyrical I appreciate your observations! I looked up Bob Reynolds and his website seems to indicate his student load is full and that it is now by invitation anyway. Thank you!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are really a novice at saxophone as you say, Eric's artistworks might work very well for you, and more appropriate than Bob's.
I learned from Steve Neff also a lot!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Artistworks gave a "black friday" special (35% off) and I decided to join. The price was the equivalent of less than 2 months of lessons privately for a year of subscription. So it was a great opportunity to try it and see if it works for me. Thanks again for your perspective!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I love it and think the school is fantastic! Eric is one of the best! He is a very technical player as well so I like his exercises that he promotes. Also great video uploads and responses from Eric. One great value! Check it out! I'm very pleased!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts