Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1967!!!!!! Ok, listen to his ideas, sound and feel. IMHO one of the real insung masters and need I say how great the SOUND is. Sound, ideas and...he's taking chances.

Enjoy . . .

eric kloss - grits and gravy

·
Registered
684 Posts
Tim,
I first heard and heard of Eric Kloss on WKCR last night. It was the title track from the 1968 release "We're goin up" . You are right on about his sound and ideas. IMHO he was playing alto like Brecker before Brecker was prominent. Jimmy Owens absolutely kills on trumpet too. Kenny Barron, Bob Cranshaw, Alan Dawson. Awesome.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The British "Acid Jazz" Movement of the early 90s hyped me up to these guys. "Grits and Gravy" is on volume I of a classic "Acid Jazz" compilation from 1991 that I have cherished since a friend brought it from London around that time.
I would have NEVER EVER heard about Gene Ammons, Houston Person, Charles Earland, or Rusty Bryant if it hadn't been for Giles Peterson and Acid Jazz.

I sometimes hear or read negative or disparaging remarks from jazz purists about this kind of crossover R&B vibe, but it is as close to my heart as most pure jazz will ever be, some tunes even more so. Music with groove, heart and soul.

Wonderful to hear such a well-respected player and community member as Tim mention it, I feel kinda vindicated. Thanks for your open and, most importantly, SHARED view to all kind of soulful music, Tim!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,228 Posts
Out of Pittsburgh, Pa. I remember his emergence back in the '60s when he was just a kid. His sound always attracted my ears like bees to honey. Unfortunately, I hear that he's been going through some health problems over the past few years. Let's hope that his health is improving.....

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tim,
I first heard and heard of Eric Kloss on WKCR last night. It was the title track from the 1968 release "We're goin up" . You are right on about his sound and ideas. IMHO he was playing alto like Brecker before Brecker was prominent. Jimmy Owens absolutely kills on trumpet too. Kenny Barron, Bob Cranshaw, Alan Dawson. Awesome.
DTExpress...Thanks for the response. I saw this before, wanted to respond, and have been working a lot. Playing, teaching & writing. Lost time in travel never gets made up,and thank god for ipod and kindle ya know.

Your post deserves a response...Eric was in a grits meets outer limits bag way before others. Tho' more " street" in a way via his Don Patterson / Pat Martino things, , and there is a lot of Stitt in there too. But he is NOT a cliche eg- " lick" cat either. I was also heavily influenced by Kloss and always dug the ORIGINAL vibe of his stuff and he would of been " the cat" for Joni Mitchell really. He heard that stuff way before anyone. Somehow, and he was on the scene way before others, he got lost in the scuffle.A decade ago, I helped him with " Jazz Cares" get some health stuff for him and his wife- he called me with a issue, Sadly I think he has been off the radar.

30 years ago in Philly, he did an alto battle at Gerndles Lair in Philly, with another alto player who was very prominent, and it was so nice. Talk about Post-Bop!!! Well that night I never forgot that and Eric is such an advanced player yet basically the audience loved himno matter what because of the grease.

Anyhow, he is one of my very favs....great post!!!:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts