Sax on the Web Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A post in the the interest of the saxophone community. I recently purchased a CT scan Florida tenor mouthpiece made by Eric Falcon. Communication was great until I purchased the piece, then things went dead quiet. I sent messages requesting shipping details and a tracking number, all of which were read and ignored. I have not received a reply in over a week. Eric told me the piece was in stock and ready to ship. I’ve filed a PayPal dispute case as he is not corresponding. It appears that others have had similar experiences. Anyway, just be careful brothers.

Ryan

·
Registered
8,024 Posts
Time to pile on.
Judging by the two or three I’ve played of his stuff, consider yourself fortunate.
Hopefully, you’ll get your money back.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,578 Posts
Honestly, people should only post about Eric now if the communication is great and they get exactly what they ordered in a timely manner. Getting no replies and bad service is normal.

·
Premium Member
15,476 Posts
Unfortunately, these stories seem to be never ending.

That’s why he is no longer working for me.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Unfortunately, these stories seem to be never ending.

That’s why he is no longer working for me.

It was probably over 5 years ago, but I recall finding Eric's phone number, dialing it, and having him answer. We had a very pleasant and informative conversation about mouthpieces. I still have a Warburton LA tenor piece he made which I really dig. It is a shame this has happened and I hope it gets better because he is a talented guy.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I know Matt Marantz is making your metal pieces, but who is making your hard rubber pieces now? Do the hard rubber pieces play the same?

With respect, this is a thread regarding the appalling conduct of Eric Falcon.

It should not be deflected in to a discussion about Marks business

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,352 Posts
Who is Eric Falcon, and why would I want one of his mouthpieces?
You not knowing who he is doesn't detract from the quality of his mouthpieces. In fact I would guess this would have to be a tongue in cheek comment because there's no way you could be a member here since 2008 and not have heard of him.

The current state of affairs is unfortunate and another issue.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Why are the most talented mouthpiece guys, techs etc. usually the biggest fruitcakes? This seems to be endemic lately.

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
Why are the most talented mouthpiece guys, techs etc. usually the biggest fruitcakes? This seems to be endemic lately.
Wow. What a shame.

On the other hand, not all of us are like that!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts

Fiddly, picky, perfectionist, working alone all the time, under the gun for exact performance, materials and methods requiring constant adjustments, time limits pushing always, clients with unusual and often unreasonable expectations .... even if you ain't nuts when you start out, it is easy to see how a person could go a little nuts and apricot chips folded in a batter after exposure to an environment like that. Requires very special type of person to thrive cheerfully there.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I've been around custom builders a long time. They tend to be folks with a passion, and talent to figure stuff out, and perhaps a bit compulsive - you are going to operate at a loss for a while before you figure out the business aspects. In otherwords, you don't go into this stuff in the beginning, for profit. But, these genius types stay at it, figure it out, and at some point get really good - too good in fact, where the money is better than good for the time invested. At some point, you are making three figures an hour. But you are passionate an compulsive. So you either have lost interest at you previous passion and just doing it enough to fund your next passion, or your next passion is consuming your time. And then there's the substance thing that is attractive to passionate, compulsive types. And then remember they are talented. They land on their feet, and they know they can think their way out of trouble, so they are comfortable with trouble, like late bills, large backlog of work, etc. I've seen more than one build up a great business and backlog, only to fritter it away because of lost interest, or new passions. They eventually don't land on their feet, and eventually get into trouble.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,903 Posts
Fiddly, picky, perfectionist, working alone all the time, under the gun for exact performance, materials and methods requiring constant adjustments, time limits pushing always, clients with unusual and often unreasonable expectations .... even if you ain't nuts when you start out, it is easy to see how a person could go a little nuts and apricot chips folded in a batter after exposure to an environment like that. Requires very special type of person to thrive cheerfully there.
Sounds like day to day for me.
I’m only a little nutty, so if I can manage I’m sure they can.
Let’s not get too carried away here, they’re facing mouthpieces not replacing heart valves.
Whilst I respect what they can do, we need a little perspective here.
I work alone, my customers demand excellent service and product, and they want it yesterday.
I get it done.
If I’m running behind my customers know well before the due date that there may be a delay.
But generally I just work longer hours and get it done when I promise.
If I don’t get it done I don’t get paid.
Now there’s incentive for you.
I don’t take on work I can’t manage within a reasonable time frame and I don’t take on work and not deliver.
Just like most small businesses.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,921 Posts
No, that is just wrong. There are a lot of people out there doing a great job without fanfare.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.