Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm checking out Eric Dolphy, but I don't know where to start. I'm also flute player so I'm interested in developing my jazz technique rather than the old legit stuff I usually do.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
i really like all the stuff he did with mingus - Live at UCLA, the Jazz Icons DVD, Mingus at Antibes, all the various bootlegs and legit recordings of the '63-'64 European tour...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
727 Posts
Out to lunch: a master piece with Freddie Hubard (tp), Bobby Hutcherson (vb), Richard Davis (b) and Tony Williams (dr).
It has a piece dedicated to the flute player Gazzelloni.
The Illinois concert: with a young 22 year old Herbie Hancock and a brass ensamble on 2 tracks, also has a different version of God bless the child on bass clarinet.
If you can find it and afford it: The complete Prestidge Recordings (9 CD´s).

·
Registered
354 Posts
+1 on the Mingus stuff.... he also made a cool quartet record with Ron Carter playing cello, called Out There....

i really like all the stuff he did with mingus - Live at UCLA, the Jazz Icons DVD, Mingus at Antibes, all the various bootlegs and legit recordings of the '63-'64 European tour...

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
I'm checking out Eric Dolphy, but I don't know where to start. I'm also flute player so I'm interested in developing my jazz technique rather than the old legit stuff I usually do.
Any of the music with Mingus....also go back and listen to him with Chico Hamiliton on flute.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,761 Posts
Out to Lunch

·
Registered
597 Posts
Lots of amazing stuff w/ Coltrane on Impulse

Oliver Nelson's Blues & the Abstract Truth

+1 for Ezz-thetics, as well as any/all Mingus live recordings

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
In addition to Outward Bound, Out to Lunch, and Last Date, I'd recommend Blues and the Abstract Truth and the recordings from Europe with Coltrane (e.g. the Complete Copenhagen Concert).

Interesting the set-list on the Copenhagen thing does not include Naima and Blue Train which are on a weird bootleg disc that I have which includes the great performances of Impressions and My Favorite Things. Maybe they are different dates, but Dolphy sounded great with Trane's group too!

Shawn

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
I would recommend Eric Dolphy in Copenhagen - the concerts he did on September 8 1961. Absolutely blistering stuff. A wonderful version of God Bless The Child on solo bass clarinet. Marvelous flute and bass (Chuck Israels) on Hi Fly. Originally issued as three records on Prestige as Eric Dolphy in Europe 1, 2 and 3.
Other warm recommendation is 'Conversations' with Iron Man, Jitterbug Waltz, Matador.
Wonderful playing with Booker Little and Jaki Byard on Far Cry.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,761 Posts
Mal Waldron's The Quest

1 - 12 of 12 Posts