Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should I play on a minor blues, you ask?

Quit your damn whining and check out this Eric Alexander transcription: a veritable how-to on the use of sequences, chord superimpositions, and the altered scale -- along with a few curveballs.

It's here on my jazz blog: Harder Bop.

As you know, if you can't play on a minor blues, you're a loser. So get going!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Great post, Kelly. Alexander is one of my favorite saxophonists. Now I have something to work on with pleasure. I loved your analysis too (including the sense of humor).

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Hahaha, I just read the first two paragraphs!!

In a way, you are dissecting him (well, at least his playing)

·
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks jlima and Victor! I thought I'd put one up for the humans!

In a way, you are dissecting him (well, at least his playing)
Love it! Indeed...

·
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As suggested by a commenter on the blog, I've added a recording of Alexander's solo, excerpted from the track, so you can follow the transcription while listening to the solo. Check it out and tell me what you think!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,567 Posts
"Exotic Foreign Temptress Exchange Student vs "Girl Next Door," someone has spent too much time with the Penthouse Forum. :tsk:

Great stuff.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Nice work, Kelly--I look forward to diving in soon. And I think your analysis of Alexander is dead on. I recently found out about his classical roots and came to a similar conclusion--i.e., that it goes a long way towards providing that near-perfect tone and articulation.

·
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Exotic Foreign Temptress Exchange Student vs "Girl Next Door," someone has spent too much time with the Penthouse Forum. :tsk:
Dear Sax On The Web Forum: I *never* thought this would happen to me...

Great stuff. You're doing God's work.

For your next project, give this a listen ....

http://www.berkeleyscience.com/jam/KBatBrunos.mov

What to play on a minor vamp. This has gotta be it ! This is so badd you gotta laugh !
Amazing: I've got that! That clip is in my "To Do" folder -- I think you posted it before, maybe with a partial transcription, correct? (I think I remember the berkeleyscience.com domain name...). I just checked: I've got that track, and I totally agree with you: KILLIN'. I'm gonna get that one up there one of these days...

Thanks to everybody who's checked this out!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts