Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
I've heard of Eric Alexander's book "14 Major Key Explorations" that I would like to buy, but impossible to find it anywhere (except an excerpt that is very limited but interesting anyway).
Anyone knowks where to find the book ?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Ask him, if he's still around...

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I assume you checked his website, and it was no longer available there? That's where I got mine, IIRC, and I've found it very useful. If that's the case, I would try contacting Eric Alexander via Facebook, where he posts semi-regularly.

·
Registered
1955 Conn 16M + 1973 Bundy 1 alto
173 Posts
His website is ericalexanderjazz.com. I looked at it after seeing his trio at Smalls last night, I don't see that ebook at the site, but it does have contact info. He's light years beyond my rudimentary skill level, that's for sure.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Have checked it out? Is it worth it?
I think so. It's cheaper than one private lesson with a local instructor. Eric talks about giving these exercises to his students. I don't know what his current lesson rate is, but just one lesson is more than the book/videos.

Right now, there is a 30% off coupon code: NEWYEAR2022

I've played through the whole book, watched all the videos, and have started going back to do each exercise in all 12 keys. I've just gone through the first 5 in all 12 keys, and I've already found bits of these exercises creeping into my solos. And they don't really sound like exercises -- they sound like authentic jazz language. Many of the exercises are actually stolen directly from people such as Sonny Stitt, Sonny Rollins, Johnny Griffin, etc.

I think the book is a time-saver. You could do the same thing yourself. First, identify common licks that your favorite players use (over static harmony), transcribe them, then take them through the keys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts