Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know MusicMedic makes ‘em, but they don’t ship to Europe.
I found some cheap Chinese ones like this:

View attachment 241860

Does anybody have some experience with these? Just unscrew the current thumb rest and screw the new one on?
I have rather big hands and extensive playing causes pain in my thumb because it curls around the small ridge of the existing hook.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Put some Sugru under the existing thumb rest. That's what I've done, anyway. It works for me.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Cut a small length of rubber hose and push it over the thumb rest like a ring.

(The orange hose used to connect the bunsen burners to the gas taps in the chemistry labs at school when I was a lad was the perfect diameter for my clarinet thumb-rest....).

I have used on (strapless) soprano the beautifully made, but stupidly expensive, Wood Stone brass thumb hook, which looks like a better-finished version of the one in your pic. It's nicer to look at, and nicer to fondle, than Slemer's stock plastic one, but not sure I could honestly say it makes any critical difference comfort-wise.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I use KMBL Elephant Ear thumbrests, same sort of principal handmade in Poland. Contact Kamil Bilski on any social media or eBay and he'll get you sorted.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
The best answer you will find is to just try it for yourself. At $6, it’s a no brainer.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The best answer you will find is to just try it for yourself. At $6, it’s a no brainer.
I suppose you're right. You can't go wrong for that price. But I'll try Sugru first.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,597 Posts
I bought the 5 pack, so I guess I will know in about a month if they are any good :) I've used the Saxgourmet version for years on tenor.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
I know MusicMedic makes ‘em, but they don’t ship to Europe.
I found some cheap Chinese ones like this:

Does anybody have some experience with these? Just unscrew the current thumb rest and screw the new one on?
I have rather big hands and extensive playing causes pain in my thumb because it curls around the small ridge of the existing hook.
It all depends on the thread and length of the screw and the location of the post that comes up into the teardrop. In the photo the rest appears to include its own base than can be soldered onto your saxophone if you want to go to those extremes if it doesn't work with the base you have. The problem with a lot of Chinese parts for musical instruments sold on Ebay is they don't give specs or dimensions.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I use felt adhesive pad (slightly wider than thumb rest) in tenor, alto, soprano, clarinet. After a long play, my thumb hurt and I had deeper and deeper dents, so I started to apply these felt "stickers", quite thick, such as used for furniture.
I have been using them for many years - the pain stopped, great comfort for the thumb.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just bought a metal right hand thumb rest off EBay for $4.85 with free shipping and handling. Plus EBay gave me a pop up coupon for $5.00 off, so the net price is zero. The only downside is the delivery time, which is 4 to 6 weeks. I will see how it compares to the Music Medic version that I have.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
For me, which is not everyone in the world, I really like the Music medic thumb rest.

If I'm having my thumb hit at the far edge extension my hand naturally curves into place with minimal conscious effort. Might not work for everyone.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
919 Posts
I had some serious injury problems in the area of my right thumb and playing sax made it worse.
I ended up just removing the thumb rest and that helped. It felt awkward initially, but i got used. I then had an operation which fixed my thumb.
However i just continued without the thumb rest and dont see any need to go back. I know some others who have done the same.

Try it... it may work for you

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just tried the Sugru while waiting 4 to 6 weeks on the Chinese one. Definitely a major help! Why didn’t I do that before?
I ordered 2 thumb rests, one for my tenor and one for my bari. Soprano is no issue, all the weight is just resting on my thumb.

·
Registered
715 Posts
@ SoulMate:
I had the MusicMedic Thumbrest sent to Switzerland, no problem!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@ SoulMate:
I had the MusicMedic Thumbrest sent to Switzerland, no problem!
Maybe because Switzerland is not really part of the European Union? It always kept its neutrality.
MusicMedic and Amazon clearly stated they do not ship this item to Europe. They do look the part. Anyway, the Chinese ones are on the way.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,947 Posts
Maybe because Switzerland is not really part of the European Union? It always kept its neutrality.
MusicMedic and Amazon clearly stated they do not ship this item to Europe. They do look the part. Anyway, the Chinese ones are on the way.
Send MM a email direct,ASK. Also terms could be different buying via Amazon.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have used on (strapless) soprano the beautifully made, but stupidly expensive, Wood Stone brass thumb hook... It's nicer to look at, and nicer to fondle, than Slemer's stock plastic one, but not sure I could honestly say it makes any critical difference comfort-wise.
Comfort & usability of any hook is gonna depend on the size, shape, muscles, bones, & tendons of the individual user's hand, & on many other variables like the weight & balance of one's horn. Having used Selmer hooks for many years & tried a few other aftermarket hooks on alto & soprano, I am currently a grateful convert to Ishimori Wood Stone type II. By far, it's the best ever -- for me. YMMV.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,600 Posts
I used to get the aching thumb with a callous from every sax. The solution for all of them was a properly fitted and supportive neck strap. I haven't even thought about my RH thumb for years. The RH thumb rest is now just a reference point, not a weight bearing point. I probably still have some of the various detachable rests sitting in my mouthpiece drawer.

Mark

1 - 20 of 33 Posts