Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a canny old fellow from the islands off the far north coast of Scotland posted me this photo in response to one of my "sax wanted" adverts in a Scottish national newsapaper. Can anyone identify the maker / and approx year? ..and maybe take a guess at the pitch hi/Lo and ..-er-.. value ???? ;)
[assuming it's all there!]

TIA

-Andy-

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,565 Posts
from one picture only?! Gee...that's difficult ! I would say it is a Bass saxophone the pitch is impossible to spot like this....It doesn't look like a Adolphe Sax......valuation is impossible with these elements

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Looks like the table keys of a really old Buescher baritone I once played.
You'd also be pretty unlikely to end up with a High pitch bass sax in Scotland, since it was an American thing.
No guarantees, of course, on either.
Best bet is to get in touch with him and ask him about it. Then lowball him, since it'll likely need a complete overhaul.
You could end up with a Bass for cheap.

·
39,565 Posts
the tube , from the bend down, is too long for a baritone.....has to be a bass, as for HP being an American thing I suggest you have a look at what I wrote on the continuous surfacing of even modern HP horns in the Netherlands in a couple of topics dedicated to Hp vs LP and Dolnet saxophones....ask for more pictures !

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Definitely a bass, and an older one at that. Im guessing it has all metal touch pieces in place of pearls, as many old horns did.

Steve P

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
milandro said:
..... as for HP being an American thing I suggest you have a look at what I wrote on the continuous surfacing of even modern HP horns in the Netherlands in a couple of topics dedicated to Hp vs LP and Dolnet saxophones....ask for more pictures !
That post was why I said no guarantees. It's LARGELY an american thing is what I should have written. That's quite a rarity, though. I don't think Dolnet made any basses, either.

·
39,565 Posts
:) No Dolnet didn't make any Bass sax, as far as I know....and that isn't much, :) they did make many Baritons though....there are many HP horns made in Europe too, all sorts, you are bound to find some anywhere..even in Scotland...so it pays off being very careful. Especially about these very old saxes! So request many more pictures! I thought it might have been a Adolphe Sax but it doesent look like one, but has to be something made at the end of the 19th century or the beginning of the 20th. Next to the possibility that it is a HP horn, include also the real possibility that you would need to find someone to manufacture pads for this horn which could have odd sized pads.....

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
milandro said:
include also the real possibility that you would need to find someone to manufacture pads for this horn which could have odd sized pads.....
Unless there's a pad cup larger than 7cm across, that shouldn't be a problem. Pads are available in half mm increments up to 70mm.

Music medic

·
39,565 Posts
littlemanbighorn said:
Unless there's a pad cup larger than 7cm across, that shouldn't be a problem. Pads are available in half mm increments up to 70mm.

Music medic
CHEERS!:) , nevertheless a repair man I know I spoke about this bass sax was telling me that it isn't always easy to accomodate pads on old and not very mainstream horns, I will pass the info on to him

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gandalfe said:
Sure looks a lot like my '21 Buescher Tru-tone bass sax except a key where the front F would be is missing.
thanks a lot, everybody, especially Gandalfe - that's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for, really - so is your horn a high pitch or low?
When did Buescher switch to exclusively low-pitch??

I was hoping somebody might recognise the keywork-[although it looks to me like there are finger-pearls missing.]

if it might a Buescher / Conn, or one of their stencils, I'll bite- I hope it's worth a 800 mile drive & a ferry trip, not some unplayable neckless hi pitch novelty wallhanger :(

I'll let you all know what happens- luckily I've got a little cash in the sax-buying-pot after selling a 6M VIII alto to a player in England.

-A-

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Columnist, Forum Con
3,801 Posts
AndyW said:
so is your horn a high pitch or low? When did Buescher switch to exclusively low-pitch??
Well mine is a low pitch and is engraved 'low pitch' below the serial number. But unfortunately you can't tell whether an instrument is high or low pitch by looking a the instrument. You could ask the seller if there is an L above or below the serial number.

I can't answer your second question because I just don't know the answer.

·
39,565 Posts
before you go anywhere ask for lots and lots of pictures try to get hold of all relevant info (saxpics will help) and only then decide to move such a long distance to buy something you might or not like at all!
If it is a Bass saxophone which can be put to playing order it is valuable, no question about it, or otherwise it will be a lot of junk ....makes a wonderful lamp though!:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,386 Posts
AndyW said:
I was hoping somebody might recognise the keywork-[although it looks to me like there are finger-pearls missing.]
Not missing - they are just simple round metal touches, not at all uncommon on horns of this age. Certainly fewer actual keys than we're used to though!

·
39,565 Posts
just based on this picture, is extremely difficult if not impossible to make a definite identification, the "missing " pearls, as Stitch says are just a typical feature of very old horns and you really need more and better pictures to make the choice whether to buy or not to buy.
But then again maybe you need a hoilday, the seller is hospitable and this thing is really cheap and you just want to drive by in a station wagon to say hello and take a look at the horn....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi. Looking at the g# key and the bell brace, It looks to me like an old French horn. I have a 1920 buescher bass, but I am almost certain that it isn’t a buescher because I haven’t seen a buescher with those type of metal keys rather then pearls made after 1905.Also, it looks like it has a Bis Bb key, which wasn’t made on American horns untill about the 1930's, when the keys were pearls. It seems like an old French bass to me; make sure to ask about high pitch or low pitch, and, ask if it has a double-octave key. Good Luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,821 Posts
I don't think it's an American bass sax. If you post more photos, I think the bass saxers here on SOTW can make a better guess.

The "Knob" shaped G# key hints at an old horn - 1920 or before. The main brace (bell to body) hints at European origin.

Are the tone holes drawn or soldered? Drawn holes started around 1920.

Lots of bass sax stuff here:

http://www.myspace.com/saxpsychosis

·
Registered
196 Posts
Keywork

qazmom said:
Also, it looks like it has a Bis Bb key, which wasn’t made on American horns until about the 1930's, when the keys were pearls.
Um, my '25 CMel has a bis. Well before 1930.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts