1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
Just simple and easy...
I'd like to get a soprano. This is the situation:
I come from clarinet, added in the last years a bass clarinet (Yamaha 221, yamaha 4C mpc), a tenor (arbiter.. sigh.. , metal Ottolink 7* mpc), alto (Conn new wonder 1926, metal Berg Larsen 80\2 SMS mpc,a dream... ) and I'm waiting for a Martin Handcraft tenor, 1935, from ebay.
I play a little jazz, much more world music and funk.
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE all that great vintage stuff and any kind of musical instrument that can tell his story

Any advice on what to look for and approx price range? Possibly big sound, good volume (and little money... or not too much :cry: )
Thank you all! :cool:

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'll tell you a way to keep your vintage sound and your paycheck...look for a good stencil horn. I own two different stencils, one is a Conn cured soprano that plays like a dream, the other is a Martin alto. It embarassing to say that I paid less than a grand for both of these horns combined, including buying new mouthpieces for both of them. Have to be careful with Conn's though, you migh end up with an out of tune terd if you go to old, or if you don't get quite the right stencil you'll miss out on High F and rolled tone holes. Just keep your eye out and you can find these rareities(sp?).

The other option of course is to get a used Yani, which are aparently renowned for their intonation, then you can just worrying about ripping the next line!

-Pat

1 - 2 of 2 Posts