Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a design project for my A2 product design, where I will be making something that will store sheet music that people can use whilst playing concerts/gigs. The question I have to ask you really is what would you like from such a product?

Should it be attached to the music stand, or sit on the floor as another piece of equipment?
Is there anything that you need/do when you play that will limit the placement of the product? (such as having an instrument that touches the floor on one side or whatever)
Are there any problems you may have that would be useful for me to know when designing my product? (bending down, holding instruments whilst changing music etc.)

Ho do you store your sheet music?
How would you like to store your sheet music in an ideal world where anything is possible? (floor, chair etc.)

How large is your typical playing area when playing at a concert/gig? (include space for chair, music stand and other equipment)

How much sheet music do you have? (an idea of size or number of folders etc would be nice!)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
Re: Storing sheet music

iPads, an online storage account & a good scanner.

·
3,095 Posts

Well for the purpose of my project we're talking paper here!
I still mainly use paper. Just make sure you're not building a museum.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The fact that no such device/stand attachment has ever been invented may be a pretty good indication that there is no call for one!!

I've played in several different bands, combos and ensembles and each has had a pretty well orgainsed, tried and tested method of managing their music. Most use a folder with polythene pockets with each pocket holding a sheet of music. This makes it easy both to fiind the next title by just flipping though the pockets and to page turn while playing, again just by flipping the pockets over. One ensemble I played with for a while had all thier music arranged in several plastic comb bound books each book being a one hour set, a dozen titles or so, that worked very well too.

So while your project is an interesting one I think you'll do extremey well to come up with something that has not been either tried before and rejected as impractical or adopted and currently in use somewhere. Nevertheless, go for it, you may well come up with some method of live performance music management that noone has thought of before, and if you do you'll probably make a fortune!!

·
3,095 Posts

Well, sorry, you're right. Just keep in mind this is a public forum, full of creative rebells. :twisted:
And, by the way, "A2 product design" might be quite meaningless for some of us (it is for me), or just reminiscent of one of car-maker Audi's major flops.
If it means "try to design what musicians would really dream of", I'm sorry, but my mind just goes back to my first answer. Many of us HATE all that heavy and clumsy paper supposedly needed to play music. The future definitely looks different.

Smokey, I know what you mean, I'm heading towards that direction too. Still, displays are only getting better, cheaper, handier, bigger, whatever. Our chance too, we oldies.

To try to answer part of your question: a typical performing band book will be 1 DIN A4 binder, weighting 1-2 kg. Per musician. It has to fit on a common stand.
What we store at home or rehearsal rooms goes from.. 1 binder to several shelves.
Like in any library, quick access to the right page is more an issue than the pure space question.
Still not interested by the paperless approach ? :mrgreen:

·
Forum Contributor 2009 & Mouthpiece Patch Mogul
4,054 Posts

Something that illuminates a sheet from behind, like an artists light table. Size should be either a4 or a3, or even so it unfolds according to need. There are times I use 3 or 4 x a4 side by side but after that song I`d like to fold it back to 1 or 2 x a4.

·
3,095 Posts

Most gigging jazz musicians lug around several spiral-bound fake-, real- and other books. 2 minutes of shuffling between each number. Don't ask how we handle it, but how to get rid of them !
Lit from behind ? Mhmmm, sorry, but once again, this strangely reminds me of Steve Jobs' recent major contribution to written music: the tablet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

OKay guys, how about we just answer all of my questions! And A2 product design is an alevel subject at school!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im not out to make money, this is meerly a project im doing at school. There are a few of these devices out there actually, very popular in germany.

·
3,095 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts

littleliddell: Try to develop something that fits on a music stand - and add a fast and silent page shifter that replaces turning pages! I'd love to have something that shows two A4 pages, but instead of the need to turn the pages (which can be a messy endeavour), I'd like a button that simply shifts the pages from left to right. True, one can only use one-side copies, but the advantage of a fast and silent mechanism would compensate for that big time.

Best would be a system that can be used to shift back and forth, of course. At the beginning, there's only one page in the left stack, while there's only one sheet left in the right stack at the end... Don't know if this is more like it, but I sometimes dream of something like that.

Oh, and while we're at it: If it's possible to integrate or attach a light source at the top, I'd not complain, either. :)

M.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I realize that it's a school project and that you're not in it for money - that was just a tongue-in-cheek comment. I lived and worked in Germany for four years and I know what you mean but they never really seemed to work, well for me anyway.

Very best of luck with your project.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
I'd like to see something that would allow for hands-free page-turning -- like stepping on a pedal to advance the sheet music. That would be a valuable feature for players of most instruments.

And keep your chin up. They told Steve Jobs that his idea to produce and sell small computers for home use was a stupid idea, too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
436 Posts
I got one... How about those times when you've got 90% of your tunes memo'd. It would be cool to have a disappearing, stable "music stand". Something that, when flipped out of the way, doesn't "appear" to be a music stand. Then, when you need to hold a page or two, you just touch a button, and it swings into place.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts