Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am a hobby player, and I've decided I need to do more transcribing. I'm wondering what sort of equipment people recommend for transcribing from CDs. Like I said, I'm not a pro; so I don't know too much about professional sound equipment. But I'd like to know what sort of CD players people recommend to make the process of transcribing less aggravating. On the set-up I currently have, it can be hard to pin point exactly where I want the recording to start and stop. (As if trying to hear all the notes wasn't frustrating enough).

I know very little about this stuff, so any suggestions would be appreciated. I can't afford to go out and buy a whole professional sound studio, but I'd just like to know what some of my options might be.

(By the way, I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this question on. This is my first post, so I don't know my way around the site too well).

Thanks

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Download the "Amazing Slow Downer".

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,497 Posts
Q Equipment for transcribing?
A EARS :D
..but seriously transcribing solos can be frustrating. Transcribing songs to lead sheet form can be easier and is just as good for the ears.
>
You have better health when you exercise your whole body and transcribing songs gets you hearing more then just a single line.
Depending on the song you may want to go between finding the bass note then writing out a bit of melody. From the melody you may be able to tell if it's major or minor. Then double check with your ears for flat and sharp 9's etc.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,341 Posts
Alls you need for transcribing is one or two good ears and a couple of good fingers, a decent working memory and a LOT of patience for starters.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,567 Posts
I use the Tascam Guitar tuner I love it. The feature that I love is the ability to Loop either a lick or even two or three notes. They also have something called the woodwind tuner (It looks exactly the same) It also has a Slow down feature, but after a few times transcribing you probably wont need it as much. The Loop feature is Key. And if you have to slow it down SO WHAT! However you get there that is what counts and really anyone that transcribes will tell you the more you transcribe the better you will get the faster it will come.

·
Registered
432 Posts
gary said:
Download the "Amazing Slow Downer".
I'll second Gary on this. An amazing--and inexpensive--system that works on your computer. Allows you to slow to any percentile of a tune's normal speed while still maintaining pitch. I've never spent a ton of time transcribing, but plan to integrate it more into my routine now that I have this device on my laptop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions. I went out and got or downloaded most of the stuff people have recommended.

Except for the ears. I'm still working on that part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts