Sax on the Web Forum banner

Epoxy instead of Screws

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  clarnibass 
#1 ·
I have to solder the bow of a hole to the body.

The horn has three screws which added support to the section where the bow meets.the body.

I say added because I have lost them.

Can I use epoxy to fill these holes?

Can I get away with this?

My aim is airtightness not mechanical support.

I assume that soldering will be eneough.

Afterall there are many horns which hold together in this section with soldering alone.

Will the epoxy fall out with time?

#2 ·
"I have to solder the bow of a hole to the body."

I don't understand. "bow of a hole"??

"The horn has three screws which added support to the section where the bow meets.the body." I don't follow. Perhaps a photo.

"I say added because I have lost them."\

If they were deeemed necessary for support, then replace them.

"My aim is airtightness not mechanical support. "

I still do not follow. Do these holes go right through the sax wall, and into the air column???

"I assume that soldering will be enough. "

I can't say, because I really don't know what you are talking about. If it is the junction between the bow and the body, some saxes have epoxy, with a band as well for some security and cosmetics. Some have an O-ring with special band that ensures rigidity. Some are simply soldered, with a band for cosmetics.

"Will the epoxy fall out with time?"
I still don't follow where you are putting it. Epoxy does not fall off a well prepared surface unless there is a lot of load on it, per surface area of adhesion. Is there a lot of load in this unexplained location?

#4 ·
So are the three screws in the clamp itself? How will he attach the clamp firmly (to stop it vibrating at the very lest) if he fills its holes with epoxy? And what is this about stopping leaks through the screw holes?

#5 ·
Gordon (NZ) said:
"I have to solder the bow of a hole to the body."

I don't understand. "bow of a hole"??

"The horn has three screws which added support to the section where the bow meets.the body." I don't follow. Perhaps a photo.
Bow of a hole and three screws to hold it to the body.... possibly a key guard? If I'm right, I guess sometimes there is English that only non-English speakers can understand ;) If I'm wrong, then nenevermind :)

#6 ·
Perhaps zagzig should describe it in his/her native language, preferably with some photos...... there's probably someone here who could translate into 'British/American/NZ English' :)

#7 ·
Sorry for the confusion

I meant the bow of the horn- not hole - to the body.

The horn is question is a Vito- Beaugnier .

The bow of the horn was held in place by solder and also by three screws.

I have lost the screws.

When I reassemble and solder this joint, there with be three open holes.

The question is: Can I fill these holes with epoxy without apprehension that the epoxy will fall out?

#10 ·
Yes, but that is a different case altogether. If I am understanding your question, you are talking about the removable ring on the bow to body joint, correct? You have already either soldered or epoxied the bow to the body, correct? So all we are talking about is the pressure ring, which to do its job correctly must be tightened somehow, and epoxying it in place won't really be the same thing. I think it would work, but it wouldn't be correct.

#11 ·
No, there is no ring on this horn. The bow was soldered to the body and there were three screws distributed around the circumference of the bow helping to reenforce the joint.

The bow had been soldered to the body and at the same time screwed to the body.

As I said, I misplaced the screws. When I resolder the bow to the body, there will be three empty holes around the circumference of the bow at the level of the joint.

Can I simply fill these with epoxy?

#12 · (Edited)
Alright, I know exactly what he is talking about (having played a Vito- Beaugnier). He IS talking about the bow to body connection. On these horns the connection is soldered and ALSO has three screws threaded into the body to help with alignment. If you have lost these screws you won't even need epoxy, just make sure the horn is lined up correctly and fill the holes with solder when you solder the rest of it. I'll try and find a picture of the screws for everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.