1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
I say European as the only older US horns with right side bell keys would be King and nothing else about this horn is King.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
I mean it is not a King but has the right side bell keys. King was the only US maker prior to the 70s that had right side bell keys, on the Zephyr and S20.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does Weltklang (B&S) have a rolled tone holes?
And as I remember, weltklang has other key guards...

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hmm, I have some pics of a sax called Akustik which looks a lot like your one with the same guards and rolled tone holes. According to a badly translated document from a German Saxophone site Akustic was one of the stencils from VEB group which apparantly later became B&S and it is engraved VEB on the bell ring. It also shows that it was made in Klingenthal. I'll post the pics I have later, if I can work out how, it does have a different bell brace but it would be earlier than yours according to the serial no.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,970 Posts
My money says Weltklang (B&S)
We are getting very warm...either that or Kohlert. Initially I say... that pinky table and the low C spat key speaks of a German origin.

Like other mfr's, Weltklang and Kohlert switched to sheet metal guards sometime in the late 50's or so....so yours is likely early 50's or older.....

You DO make a good point, though...the Weltklangs I have gotten thru here didn't have RTH's. Kohlerts do, as do Keilwerth (Max or Julius) bodies. I am wondering if this could be a Max Keilwerth horn (?).....his Oscar Adlers look like this, too.

It would correspond via serial # to a 1959 if it's Weltklang. Or 1953 if Kohlert.

Max Keilwerth horns from that period also had 4-digit serials in the 5000-6000 range...and their octave key mechs were very simple and straightforwrd like yours is. Also, that low C spat is the same shape as Max's. But the Pinky table says the other two German shops much more.

Blackbeat....tell me... the LH, E palmkey...does its shaft/spine do a semi-circle around the Eb key cup ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts