1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
Have anybody heard about this horn?
"Ensign"...
Obviously, it is a strencil, but strencil of what manufacture?
It has a rolled tone holes, white mechanics and no laquer on the body.
I've begun to discharge it, so there are not all parts on it.
Please, give me any information about this sax.
Thank you very-very much!
Sergey.

DSCN2064.jpg DSCN2065.jpg DSCN2066.jpg DSCN2067.jpg DSCN2068.jpg

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,140 Posts
I say European as the only older US horns with right side bell keys would be King and nothing else about this horn is King.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,140 Posts
I mean it is not a King but has the right side bell keys. King was the only US maker prior to the 70s that had right side bell keys, on the Zephyr and S20.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does Weltklang (B&S) have a rolled tone holes?
And as I remember, weltklang has other key guards...

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hmm, I have some pics of a sax called Akustik which looks a lot like your one with the same guards and rolled tone holes. According to a badly translated document from a German Saxophone site Akustic was one of the stencils from VEB group which apparantly later became B&S and it is engraved VEB on the bell ring. It also shows that it was made in Klingenthal. I'll post the pics I have later, if I can work out how, it does have a different bell brace but it would be earlier than yours according to the serial no.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,497 Posts
My money says Weltklang (B&S)
We are getting very warm...either that or Kohlert. Initially I say... that pinky table and the low C spat key speaks of a German origin.

Like other mfr's, Weltklang and Kohlert switched to sheet metal guards sometime in the late 50's or so....so yours is likely early 50's or older.....

You DO make a good point, though...the Weltklangs I have gotten thru here didn't have RTH's. Kohlerts do, as do Keilwerth (Max or Julius) bodies. I am wondering if this could be a Max Keilwerth horn (?).....his Oscar Adlers look like this, too.

It would correspond via serial # to a 1959 if it's Weltklang. Or 1953 if Kohlert.

Max Keilwerth horns from that period also had 4-digit serials in the 5000-6000 range...and their octave key mechs were very simple and straightforwrd like yours is. Also, that low C spat is the same shape as Max's. But the Pinky table says the other two German shops much more.

Blackbeat....tell me... the LH, E palmkey...does its shaft/spine do a semi-circle around the Eb key cup ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts