Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have mentioned I am an old man that returned to first love a few years back.I have two altos and two tenors(soon to be three)and the
package deal includes a 1951 12M bari in another state,funky looking but playable.At least some people could play it but I don.t know about me
.I have no trouble with my 1939 10M.Does the bari require a lot more breath?I am doing some quartet arrangements and I want to put them
on C.D.playing all the parts.I.d like a free blowing M.P.On tenor I use a
.090 Morgan M Jazz with a 21/2 reed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,404 Posts
A bari will require more breath and it will be harder to play long phrases, especially on that big bore Conn. It seems like you play a pretty closed tipped tenor mpc. You might want to try bari pieces with small tips. If that doesn't help extend your phrases you should try some with baffles.

·
Banned
624 Posts
my grandfather seems to have the opposite problem: too much wind. I think his doctor recommended raw oats (or something?) :D

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
It was a lot harder for me to get used to the bari...I had to use a lot more air and my director was always telling me to play louder. But after a few weeks, I was being complemented on my nice, full sound on alto.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,443 Posts
Lamar; Sounds like you're having a lot of fun with your saxes. I'm an old dude too, but I'm gigging as much as I ever did. I found out that practicing the soprano of all things does me the most good as far as embouchure on all saxes. I don't think I have much 'wind' (as measured by the things the docs use) but I can put out a lot of pressure and play LOUD. I play a rubber Berg 130/1 0n bari with a #3 Rico Plasticover, so long notes/phrases are pretty much out, but I can make it bark! I also have a #8* Brilhart Level Air (original style) that's a lot easier to play but gives a much darker/smoother tone. I keep this around for section work (sax section, not 'horn' section - that's what the Berg is for). I don't know what it is about my chest, but I've never had much air. I guess someday they'll open up my carcass and find out (after they drag me off a bandstand feet first), but as long as I can play I don't care that I can't hold notes for three minutes.

·
1,254 Posts
My suggestion, for what it is worth, would be to try a tip opening in the .100 to .110 range with a 21/2 to 3 strength reed and see what happens with that. If it is too much, get a smaller tipped mouthpiece. Do not lessen the stength of the reed. You would want to start in the 21/2 to 3 range and get stronger as you play more.

Also, have the bari checked out by your repairman. Old baris tend to have leaks that can make it almost impossible to play. It has been my experience, that the older they get the more care and regular maintainence they need. You said it was "funky looking". Hopefully, it is not that way because of damage or poor, past repair work.

Lastly, do not be in a hurry to blow this horn like you can your alto or tenor. It is bigger and you will need some time to get the breathing up to the level it needs to be. Have fun and relax while practicing the bari.

Enjoy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts