Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,321 Posts
Thats normal. I have had several through here, and the engraving looks like scratches instead of truly formed letters. I dont think you have anything to sorry about.

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,668 Posts
Hi there,

I got a SDA tenor for super cheap and have a question about it.

Plays great...love the tone...but on the body of the horn where the "SUper Dynaction" is engraved it looks amateurishly done. Not like the ones I see in photos of the horns. Could the horn be a fake or did some of them just leave the factory without the engraving and the previous owner felt a need to put it on themself?

Now I got this in the original wooden case, plush blue interior and like I said the thing is fantastic to play. Solid, heavy, dark sound, all the trademarks of a SDA.

Any ideas?

Best - M
Given how well it plays, even if your SDA were a fake one, that is still a good horn; in other words, don't give a hoot about the SDA engraving and just play the horn, man!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
Hey... I have a Conn alto sax that guys wanna tell me is not a 6M because it has a swivel thumb hook and a knurled microtuner sleeve... Please!... Like the thumb hook makes it sound different...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
Sounds like you got the real thing, but you'd get a more definitive answer if you posted some pictures. All SDA's were not engraved SuperDynaction on the body (I have one of those) but the Buffet bell/bow engraving is very distinctive and easily recognized.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Raphyl is right about how they engrave it. I've seen a few that made me wonder as well but that's just how some of them are.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,208 Posts
I had one. The bell engraving was fine but the engraving of the model name on the body tube did look like a 12 year old did the work. Really cheesy. Luckily its not displayed.

I dont remember if mine had things that looked like scratches or if it was a poor example of pointillism.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Has anyone thought that they left France without the model name engraved on it and the American distributors at the time (Carl Fischer) had them all engraved? The skilled artisans at Buffet in France who engraved the bells probably weren't responsible for the model names. Incidentally, my alto has the "Super Dynaction" name flawlessly engraved under the thumbrest. My tenor's "Super Dynaction" is not as nice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts