Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running my cleaning cloth over the horn, the engraving snags or catches the in the engraving a bit. I'm wondering if over time this will lead to the finish pulling away.

Any suggestions for how to minimize this?

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Well, there's the problem. Stop rubbing it down, problem will stop.

I only "polish" horns on those rare occasions when I do a complete disassembly (like every ten years or so).

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I think polishing a horn and proper maintenance by wiping with a cloth are two different things. Engraving snagging onto a silk or microfiber cloth seems unusual to me. You should show a photo of the engraving so we can see if something is wrong.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
You could probably go lightly over it with 0000 steel wool just to knock down any protruding burrs - stopping if you feel it starting to bite into the lacquer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,711 Posts
I would not steel wool a horn. Too easy to mess up.

Perhaps change the type of cloth to one that is more like felt (I dont know exactly what fabric...but a less open weaved cloth) it wont snag as easily.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,998 Posts
Yes, I am gonna assume it is a lacquered horn...so, yeah....a rough-egded engraving, that's sorta bush-league....and any sort of abrasive is probably not gonna achieve what you hope.

I think with a lacq horn, however, not incredibly much you can do about that. If the engraved area had worn lacq already, and bare patches, or the finish is silverplate - you could actually take a 600gr. snadpaper to it, followed by steel wool, then a light mechanical buff (tech) to get rid of that. But you cannot do that on a lacq horn (and have it end up looking good).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,442 Posts
Live with it! And, for goodness sake, do not use any abrasive on it, including polishes and steel wool. In 20 years it will smooth out or else it will no longer bother you.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
If you don't use a cleaning cloth on it, would anyone know the difference? Is it a 5-digit cleaning cloth? That will make a difference.......:twisted:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,998 Posts
If you don't use a cleaning cloth on it, would anyone know the difference? Is it a 5-digit cleaning cloth? That will make a difference.......:twisted:
I am left shaking my head that fellow horn players would actually ridicule an owner...for using a cleaning cloth on their horn.

Really ?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I am left shaking my head that fellow horn players would actually ridicule an owner...for using a cleaning cloth on their horn.

Really ?
Thank you!

As for smoothing the edges, if the OP really thinks it is necessary, a pencil eraser might be worth a try. As always, it's the dose that makes the poison, in other words, proceed with caution.

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
I had a Chinese tenor where it felt like filings or splinters were coming off of it.
That was the least of its problems.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts

Really ?
That's not ridicule. Read it again. I often have to remind myself of why I IGNORE some members (the list is small). This is why. You're on the list. Keep shaking your head.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
Not meaning to pour oil on the fire but what am I missing here?
I think it was an attempt at humour. but if you have to explain, it probably wasnt funny eh? Whatever it was, it wasnt particularly helpful. But then neither is the post mortem.

This engraving thing sounds,.. odd. Id like to see a picture just out of idle curiosity. As a wise man once said, "You dont play the shine" so I guess its no big deal and I would just wait and see what happens, but on the other hand it doesnt sound like great care and attention to detail went into that aspect (at a minimum) of making the horn.

I would resist the temptation to try anything abrasive to get rid of it.

Personally I do my best to mop up any water spots on the outside of the horn, so I would share the OPs concern regarding the engraving catching on the cloth, but then the earthtone finish on my horns is particularly bad for taking water spots and turning them into a special kind of ugliness over time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,133 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
But then neither is the post mortem.
Anything that starts with a latin post, partem, mortem... ROFLOL

Personally I do my best to mop up any water spots on the outside of the horn, so I would share the OPs concern regarding the engraving catching on the cloth, but then the earthtone finish on my horns is particularly bad for taking water spots and turning them into a special kind of ugliness over time.
Yes, I know what you mean and I have tried about everything to revert them to the original but nothing has worked.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Running my cleaning cloth over the horn, the engraving snags or catches the in the engraving a bit. I'm wondering if over time this will lead to the finish pulling away.

Any suggestions for how to minimize this?
I think the problem may be in the polishing cloth being used. Microfibre and silk will catch on the tiniest of things.
100% cotton is probably better.
Best of all, a Selvyt cloth, especially Selvyt PR Heavyweight Premium Polishing Cloth. This has an extremely fine pile, and last more or less forever. http://www.selvyt.co.uk/selvyt-cloths/polishing-cloths/selvyt-pr-heavyweight.html (Note that price includes more than one.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts