Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of trying to re-engrave the worn logos of some of my horns or if I can find someone near Toronto ....

any suggestions ?

thanks
Fraser

·
Registered
790 Posts
I can't find the threads right now, but some years ago there was a guy from Canada who did some engraving on horns also. As I recall he even did a members horn as a demo or try-out. Could have been Truehand Engraving and guess what, he's in Toronto. Maybe give him a call if he is still into engraving saxes too.

http://www.truehand.com/index.html

·
Registered
790 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have a silver plated 1954 Mark VI alto that was sold in France, no engraving. I've considered getting some custom engraving on it. What do yall think? Is that stupid?

I'm holding back because of a comment from the guy I bought my '57 tenor from, it's real ugly and I'd asked him about what I could do about that. He told me to sell the horn to him so he could put it in the hands of someone who would appreciate it more the way it was, and I could go buy some new horn.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I wouldn't do it to this horn just because of its vintage value. I agree with your friend. What do you find ugly about it?
I have a very nice 1955 lacquered and engraved alto I'd be glad to swap for a silver one of same vintage if you were local to the Bay Area.

I have a silver plated 1954 Mark VI alto that was sold in France, no engraving. I've considered getting some custom engraving on it. What do yall think? Is that stupid?

I'm holding back because of a comment from the guy I bought my '57 tenor from, it's real ugly and I'd asked him about what I could do about that. He told me to sell the horn to him so he could put it in the hands of someone who would appreciate it more the way it was, and I could go buy some new horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,149 Posts
Remember that the silver will be cut through exposing bare brass that will darken in the engraving and show any marks around it.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Perhaps brush plating would be feasible after engraving.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,746 Posts

Are you concerned about re-sale value? If so, keep in mind that this will diminish it, even though it could probably make it "prettier". If you do not care about re-sale value, and just want to do it for yourself, then who cares?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Thanks, all very good points.

I don't think it's ugly the way it is, in fact, it's in very fine cosmetic condition, just no engraving. I'm thinking I should leave it the way it is, sooner or later it'll be someone else's, it's best left original. Plus it's a series 1 double S.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts

I have an opinion on that. :) I have a 1950 silver plated European model SBA alto that came with no engraving. Several years ago I struck a deal with Jaice Dumars as part of a saxophone sale to have him engrave it for me at a good price. It was a "blank canvas" and I gave him free reign to use his artistic talent as he wished.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I have an opinion on that. :) I have a 1950 silver plated European model SBA alto that came with no engraving. Several years ago I struck a deal with Jaice Dumars as part of a saxophone sale to have him engrave it for me at a good price. It was a "blank canvas" and I gave him free reign to use his artistic talent as he wished.
Very Purtty!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,280 Posts
Its hard to say how it would impact the value.

One issue is that this is a first year MK6...it defnintely wont be original anymore...some would think it better. It all depends on what the buyer is chasing.

That is a beautiful SBA!

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Its hard to say how it would impact the value.

One issue is that this is a first year MK6...it defnintely wont be original anymore...some would think it better. It all depends on what the buyer is chasing.
Plus, as pointed out in post #7 note how the darkening brass from the engraving starts contrasting with the silver background. That’s not the case on original engraving followed by platting.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Remember that the silver will be cut through exposing bare brass that will darken in the engraving and show any marks around it.
As can be seen in the photos provided, the brass in the engraved lines provides a nice gold contrast to the silver. The brass does tarnish a bit and darken just like the silver plate over time, but when the silver is polished it also brings back the shine to the brass so that is not an issue. The engraved areas could be brush plated with silver, but in my view it would take away from the clarity of the design by removing some of the contrast. It is just a matter of personal taste.

·
Registered
8,205 Posts
Beautiful!

See now, I'd think that something like that would actually make the horn more valuable, not less.
As long as it’s not your name with your bust engraved on there it may add value, but I doubt it.
Originality is what adds value.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Resurrection...thread title was engraving cost, but nowhere did I see anyone mention costs.

Can someone shed some light on costs? It can be general terms or ballpark for say Bell engraving...

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,506 Posts
I think that there was no mention of a cost because much depends who you are asking (different skills command different price) , where he or she is located ( different location will result in a different cost) and the extent of the work you want to have ( so an hourly rate would be a start point but some people work faster than others).

You don’t necessarily need to limit yourself to the very few people whom specialize in musical instruments engraving, you can source a weapon’s engraver too, they are skilled in doing very intricate work but that’s not normally conducted in the oscillating style so typical of modern (because old engraving is much more similar to weapon’s engraving, see for example what Conn did with the so called “ portrait” engravings).

Hourly rates vary considerably

this shop charges $150 per hour! http://devitthandengraving.com/pricing.htm

But I have heard prices of $50 to 75 per hour.

This shop does musical instruments too

https://www.powleyengraving.com

This is a musical instruments engravings museum and may help with finding an engraver

http://momie.org/contactus.html

1 - 20 of 45 Posts