Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked Gandolfe about this and he suggested I turn it over to the
community.I'm out in the Islands and the alto is in California.It
belongs to a retired band director from Nevada who bought it in a Las Vegas pawn shop.I have done business with him before and he is honest.
.It is a highly engraved Vito alto which I think of as a bordello
horn because of it's flashy appearence.It has a four hole strap hanger
and a rather unusual thumb hook.I have asked about this before but
cannot get definite opinions.As well ,the former owner engraved his name and phone # on the bell.The # is disconnected and google searches have
turned up nothing.The pawn shop says the man showed matching I.D.
when he pawned it quite a while ago.I think I can buy it inexpensively.Anyone own and play one of these?Even though checking for
stolen instuments turned up nothing,is there any danger in this?Any way the
name can be removed without relacquering the whole horn?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Some of those Vitos are truly excellent pro-horns, some are just student models. Sometimes it can be traced to if they came out of Japan, France, or Wisconsin, (the French and Kenosha, WI horns are often quite better, IMO), but it's hard to tell without playing one, or having pictures to compare.

As for the name and phone...depends how deep it is, but...it's probably not worth it to remove it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Just how exstensive is the engraving? Bell and bow or the whole body including the neck? Any pics?

C

·
0 Posts
rs1sensen said:
Some of those Vitos are truly excellent pro-horns, some are just student models. Sometimes it can be traced to if they came out of Japan, France, or Wisconsin, (the French and Kenosha, WI horns are often quite better, IMO), but it's hard to tell without playing one, or having pictures to compare.

As for the name and phone...depends how deep it is, but...it's probably not worth it to remove it.
Jupiter made some so you can add Taiwan to the list. I also heard that some were also built in Italy and China. These are the ones I would steer clear of.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,404 Posts
I recall this topic coming up before on SOTW, and I'm sure I've seen this type of horn on Ebay. I think the heavy engraving and other features you mention connote a Kenosha horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts