Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would someone get an english horn for cheap? Are there any models anyone can suggest that would be reliable and affordable enough for pit work?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,944 Posts
Well asking here on SOTW is a good idea. I don’t see those very frequent in the used market. You may be best saving and buying new. Depending on where you live you may want to investigate renting. Or renting to buy.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,210 Posts
English horn and cheap are rarely used in the same sentance.
Good ones will be pricey. Cheap ones... Good luck!

·
Registered
564 Posts
How would someone get an english horn for cheap? Are there any models anyone can suggest that would be reliable and affordable enough for pit work?
What do you consider cheap? I know one Chinese factory that makes a decent English Horn - fully automatic, ebony wood, silver plated keys. Last I checked they were around 3000 USD.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,163 Posts
I was asking the same question 25 years ago when I was looking for an English horn.

Short answer: You cannot buy an English horn for cheap.

You can, however, buy a cheap English horn, but then that's what you've got. China is rife with them. They are unplayable.

Your best bet is to troll eBay until you find a used one that you consider to be affordable. (While we're at it, what do you mean by affordable?)

To get an idea of what is quality and what isn't, go to http://oboes.us/. Click on "Oboe Makers and Commentary" and then click on English Horns. Tons of useful commentary.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,986 Posts
I was asking the same question 25 years ago when I was looking for an English horn.
Short answer: You cannot buy an English horn for cheap.
You can, however, buy a cheap English horn, but then that's what you've got. China is rife with them. They are unplayable.
Basically, I concur. Being in the refurb biz, these seldom come up used... and when they do, even those (reputable ones) needing a complete refurb are still quite expensive.

·
Registered
142 Posts
When the "student" cor anglais are around $5,000, it's pretty difficult to find one for "cheap." Maybe look for a used Howarth student model? That's about my only idea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts