Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, friends,

I started a thread, years ago, for people looking for sheet music and accompaniment for smooth jazz and other things, and discovered LOTS of links and work-arounds, as described below:

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...p-B-digital-sheet-music-transposed-for-Bb-sax

However, in my search, I happened to come across a big collection of Christian saxophone scores as well, so I though I would share them for those who are interested.

I just had a gig at a Christian wedding reception where the groom requested almost exclusively (get this) modern arrangements of Hispanic "praise and worship" songs. Woa. Normally I would not take more than one or two special requests in advance, but since I play for a lot of Hispanic churches anyway, I had this long-term goal of including about 50 new songs of that genre in my repertoire anyway, so I agreed to do it, and it gave me an excuse to work on that long-term goal. The groom sent me a few videos of the style that he liked, so I went out of my way to suit him. In fact, his audience did not even know the old Baptist hymns, but only the modern worship and Contemporary Christian, so most of the modern arrangements of old hymns were not even useful, nor many of the CCM songs of the English-speaking world. Intense. But I like a challenge.

Lo and behold I came across a couple of guys online who have been through this kind of thing themselves, and they have not only prepared their own sheet music for saxophone, to play these songs, but have uploaded over 100 of them to the internet! In fact, they are not necessarily professionals, but they have provided them for any beginner or intermediate-level player interested.

Of course, I found out late, weeks after preparing some of my own, but I was able to add another 30 or so at the last minute from their work alone. No chord symbols, however, but they include an alto version and a tenor version, in the original key, and for some of them, were kind enough to include the GuitarPro format for each, so that I could import them into MuseScore, and then edit them myself, add repeats, introductions, chord symbols, and whatever they lacked. As it turns out, a lot of the CCM songs in English have been translated into Spanish, so I was actually able to update my English database by using these Spanish translations of the same songs.

The website is a bit confusing, but here is one of the pages to it:

https://notascristianasparasaxofon....o-para-que-los.html?showComment=1577931530927

Another 100 songs or so are on other pages of his website, with no editable version of the other 100 songs, but just PDFs ready made for alto or tenor.

Now, brace yourself: downloading them from Mediafire and other sharing websites is a pain in the neck, but it was worth it. You have to download each score individually through an off-site page, and go through the usual ads.

In fact, you will get this OBNOXIOUS series of ads from AD.FLY that you will have to bypass by clicking on "skip ad", and then when the pop-up windows appear, a trick I learned online is to change one item in the domain name from www1 or www2 to www4 and it will bypass the rest of the ads and take you directly to the download page! (e.g, if presented with "https://www1.ramirocampos.pro/pushredirect/?network=1" change it to "https://www4.ramirocampos.pro/pushredirect/?network=1" but you have a window of only about ten seconds to do it. If two pop-up windows appear, find the one that has an address like the one mentioned above (e.g., www1....) and change that one only. Do not click on anything else, and once the download begins, you can close all windows. As I recall, the next download would not work unless I closed the first one, and so on.

Note: you may have to whitelist Mediafire to download the files, within your anti-virus program, because they are reportedly notorious for including viruses, but since I trust the authors of these individual files, I did not expect to get anything from the files themselves, and I run the anti-virus after the session has ended anyway.

So, most of this homemade sheet music is from Marcos Witt, Jesus Adrian Romero, Marcos Barrientos, Danilo montero, and the usual Canzion bunch, but much of it is from Hillsong, Newsboys, Chris Tomlin, and others known in English, but you may have to decipher the title from Spanish, as I know many of you will be able to do (many Hispanics in the U.S.A. are bilingual anyway). For those of you who need it, this is a GOLD MINE.

WORST CASE, if you can't use the score exactly as written, at least all the notes are correct, and it can save you lots of time if you just want to use each one as a model to follow as you prepare your own score in a music notation program (i.e., you don't have to guess whether you need a dotted sixteenth note followed by an eighth, or viceversa, but can just copy it over, and then do the rest of the editing on your own, or transposing.)

Incidentally, lots of times I have noticed that, if I look for a Christian song on Musescore, half the time the arrangement has wrong notes or is only half finished. Also, if I look for the song in English, sometimes I cannot find it, but if I search in Spanish, I do. keep that in mind as you search for any song, secular or Christian.

Want a nice surprise?

If you want to make some nice homemade accompaniment soundtracks using professional-quality MIDI files, or make your own sheet music from the same, Guatemalan pastor Edgar Franco has about 200 on his Facebook page and another 500 of less-than-professional quality. These include many Integrity Music songs, like Ron Kenoly's Life Him Up, but you will have to know your Spanish to find them (e.g., Exaltale) or else search by the Hispanic song leader associated with the song, if you hapen to know him. https://www.facebook.com/groups/midisaya/files/ . In fact, Franco put all the songs into one 28MB ZIP file called "Midisaya.zip" which includes an index in Excel format, but I cannot remember how I downloaded it from his facebook page, but I am sure he will guide you, or you can search around.

In conjunction with Audacity, you can make some nice soundtracks of your own, all for free.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
Thanks for going to all the trouble to share this. I will take a look around at these resources. I have been leading worship for a long time with guitar. I have a second home in Mexico for retirement and working hard on my spanish. I can see that in the future I could use resources like this.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My pleasure.

In fact, during this period of three months in preparing for that wedding reception in December (which went very well, by the way--lots of Hispanics have their wedding in December, for whatever the reason), I also bought several collections of CCM in play-along format, but that typically does not come with the chord symbols--only the notes--but usually includes top-quality accompaniment on the CD that comes with it. If you find the chord symbols separately online, you can just write them in, but since the books do not usually include the lyrics, it is hard to find your place, as you do, just going by the notes alone.

By the way, don't ever buy such a CD/play-along book package in used condition unless it specifically says "CD included". Lots of dealers tell you the condition of the book itself ("like new" or "mint") but ignore the fact that the CD is missing.

One day I may list all the Christian play-alongs that I have tried, and create a thread on that subject alone, or combine the two threads into one.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
The chord symbols would be very useful, but not hard to figure out. Translated lyrics would be nice to have.

That is very interesting about the weddings. I frequently have taken my vacations in early December. Every weekend there are fireworks over the city. I thought these people are crazy with all these fireworks. I then found out it was weddings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts