Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever received an empty box on a horn or parts deal. I'm asking because I purchased a neck and today I find a very light box at my doorstep. No sign of it being opened before but definitely the wrong weight for a tenor neck. I opened it up and there was nothing but air in it!

I have sent the seller an e-mail and have opened a dispute with Paypal. This stinks.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
258 Posts
I've never experienced this myself, but this is another good reason to never send money by MO or Western Union! Paypal has helped me recover my money a few times...

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
Hurling Frootmig -

Did you do a background check on the seller before buying that neck? Is she a member of SOTW or not? If he is, he has done himself damage - unless he never wants to do business with this community again!

Let us know how it goes and what Harri and this Forum can (and should) do to help!

·
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did look into the person and I'm giving them the benefit of doubt here. I sent them an e-mail and put in a complaint with paypal. The box did not look tampered with so I'm hopeful of some kind of oversight. I don't want to unnecessarily sully or damage anyone's reputation as that is what the result would be if I revealed all the details. Again, I am hoping that there is a reasonable explanation and that it gets taken care of as quickly as possible.

I have purchased a lot of items through eBay and from fellow members and have never been burned. I've sold a fair amount of mouthpieces and haven't been burned on trials or anything else that I've sent out. I'd like to keep that streak going.

·
2,664 Posts
Good night and good luck!

·
Registered
250 Posts
It did happen to me once when buying some recreational herb many years ago but I had nowhere to complain to. I think that either the cat that sent you the empty box did it on purpose or preferably he got my herb and became too perplexed to know he forgot to put the neck into the package..
good luck
BA

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
258 Posts
Did you ever get this resolved? Was it from a regular store or eBay? In any case we'd like to know!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,045 Posts
I was the seller - I'd advertised this neck on here several times. I opened the complaint with my post office that pointed out that there WAS a neck in there when I shipped it beacuse of the amount charged for the weight. They had no other explanation for me. I've never heard of anything like this either. I have never cheated anybody and I've never short changed anybody. I sold a $500 neck for $150. I would like to think my reputation is relatively intact in this cyber community, but in all honesty, that neck was in the box when it shipped. I am only glad that I took out the insurance on it so that neither party is going to lose out.

·
2,045 Posts
I'd also like to point out that in my contacts with the buyer, I stated several times that, no matter what I found through contacting the post office, he would NOT lose his money, that even if they lost it and I couldn't get the insurance, I would pay him. I have never had an issue with a purchase and wasn't about to start now. I just want to make sure that my side as the seller is crystal clear.

·
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HonkBopSax has been a good guy in all of this.

I filled the claim with the post office and am suppose to get a check within 30 days of filling it. I haven't seen anything yet from them.

My best guess is that somewhere between Pittsburgh and Chicago is a perfectly good neck (I hope). I know it's as much of a bummer to Honk as it is to me.

Again, let me stress that Honk's been very helpful and I believe him when he says that he shipped the neck. What I most appreciate is that he was good enough to insure the package and that this will all get taken care of by the post office.

I would gladly buy something from him again.

I apologize for not updating this thread. After things go rolling from the post office I forgot to come back to this.

·
Premium Member
15,479 Posts
HonkBopSax is a great friend of mine and he is ALWAYS a true gentleman. He'll do the right thing here. He's a great guy and there should be absolutely no worries whatsovever.
The post office obviously messed up, so hang loose...this will resolve itself.
Eric is a 1st class guy and he'll make sure everything turns out right. :)

·
2,664 Posts
This is great!

Honkybob - I trust that I have not affended you in anyway with what I wrote in the beginning of the thread.

As we are speaking, I have seen no signs of my S20 nine weeks after it was shipped from Ontario by Post Canada. And, God forbid, if this horn were ever lost, the insurance would be nothing compared with what I paid for this horn.

It is an S20, for crying out loud!

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I'm glad this is working out and would echo 10mfan's comments
Eric is a 1st class guy and he'll make sure everything turns out right.

Honk is likewise a friend of mine, from whom I've bought and sold stuff for years. He is a good guy.

·
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Like I said, Eric has been great during this process. I was pretty annoyed at an empty box but I've seen the postal service do some funny things. I've had shipments go from the burbs where I live into the city that literally took seven days or more. Nothing really surprises me anymore when it comes to the mail. The only positive I've always had is that stuff eventually arrives - until this incident!

I'm just waiting on the postal claim. And meanwhile if anyone has a killer deal on a Keilwerth neck for a tenor . . . let me know.

·
2,045 Posts
I appreciate the kind words. The neck I sold was a backup that I bought as a backup to the Keilwerth neck I got from 10Mfan. I use that neck from loud funk and GB stuff, and have an Oleg neck that I use on everything else, I didn't need the backup to the Keilwerth. If I had another, I'd send it for sure!

·
Banned
280 Posts
Quick question: was it a copper neck? Did you specify it was copper when you shipped it?

There are a lot of low-lifes out there stealing copper, you know.

If it was, I'll bet it never made it out of the orignating post office.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,733 Posts
Hurling Frootmig said:
...I'm just waiting on the postal claim. ...
I'd be very interested to hear the outcome of this claim if you don't mind sharing. Based on my experience, I would not be surprised if it were denied. After all (the USPS will say), can either of you PROVE there was a neck in there? Needless to say, it probably won't do much good for you to ask them to prove there WASN'T a neck in there.

I hope I'm wrong in your case, but in my experience USPS "insurance" is a scam. If, when you purchased the insurance, they told you what they tell you when you file a claim, a lot fewer people would be wasting their money on it.

·
2,045 Posts
I've never had anything go missing like this before.

What WILL happen is what I told Hurling - I WILL make sure he gets his money back, whether I have to make up for that or not...I hope USPS doesn't pull anything like that, but if they do, he'll get his money one way or the other.

·
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm thinking positive thoughts about USPS at this point. The whole law of attraction thing :D

·
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
HonkBopSax said:
I've never had anything go missing like this before.

What WILL happen is what I told Hurling - I WILL make sure he gets his money back, whether I have to make up for that or not...I hope USPS doesn't pull anything like that, but if they do, he'll get his money one way or the other.
Eric's been very cool throughout. Made a couple of trips to his post office to assist.

I'll report as soon as the post office gives me some sort of notice.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts