Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time ago i was given a rather old and in need of repair silver plated saxophone. I went out, got it stripped, dipped, cleaned and then redone with brand new pads - now a perfect instrument; this was all a good couple of years ago.

Now im thinking of selling but also trying to find out a bit more about the make...

Its silver plated (as mentioned) and has a large leaf like designed on the bell.

Inside side the circle leaf design reads:

EMPEROR
D APTAKER
Sole Distributor for UK
169 & 249 MARE ST
LONDON E8

So other than knowing where it was possibly made, or originally sold, i havent a clue.

If anyone has any idea id be very interested.

Ta

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,240 Posts
Its an imported horn from any place in the world so a description of the serial number area would help to determine whether its USA or euro made
Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave dix said:
Its an imported horn from any place in the world so a description of the serial number area would help to determine whether its USA or euro made
Dave
Serial number area... where abouts would that be?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,240 Posts
Below the R,H thumb hook.
Is the serial stamped in a curve or straight and does it have a letter above and are the tone holes bevelled, all clues to the manufacturer.
Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I've found a number... although its a bit small...

Its the number: 5628

It wasn't under the right thumb hook, it was just under the last forward facing tone hole (third finger, right hand).

Thinking of taking it into a local woodwind shop probably tomorrow... http://www.windblowers.com/ see if they can provide a price/sale quote and any further information.

Just out of interest whats the best method of cleaning the silver plated ones?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Household silver polish will do nicely for keeping it shiny.

Just a thought: does it say "Emperor" of - just a long shot - "Empor"?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pinnman said:
Household silver polish will do nicely for keeping it shiny.

Just a thought: does it say "Emperor" of - just a long shot - "Empor"?
Nope fully written in capitals "EMPEROR".

I'm thinking its a lesser know maker located way back in London (hence the address) - i've googled D APTAKER and not found anything as yet...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts