Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spanishfly's now deleted thread about visiting Emilio Lyons alerted me to the fact that he is doing repairs from his house. Well...my parents live a mile down the street from Emilio, so when I visited them in August, I brought along my pearl gold Borgani alto and dropped in on Emilio. He recommended I overhaul the alto...I had some trepidation as the horn sounded good, but the action was spongy and the keys a little sloppy, and I had to blow pretty hard on this horn. Regardless, I didn't think it needed an overhaul.

However, Emilio quoted a very reasonable price for the overhaul (about 2/3 of the average price I see quoted here on SOTW) and a one week turnaround...so I took a flyer and handed him the horn.

I got it back on time and at the estimated price (with red pads!) Emilio said it was a lot of work (and I've seen Matt Stohrer's youtube video about overhauling a Borgani, so I believed Emilio.)

I've had the alto back for a month now and it's playing great...it's easy to blow quietly and softly and the action is snappy. The next thing I knew, my wife started complimenting me on my tone and my playing on this horn (a new phenomenon - she's usually silent about my playing)...I'm also tooting a Ted Klum finished piece so that is a contributing factor to the nice tone too!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also, Emilio is 82 years old -I hope I live that long and can still do good work!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,892 Posts
I mean, it is Emilio. He really is a master tech, and at 82, he can definitely still do his thing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
870 Posts
I'm sure he misses "holding court" at Rayburns. It must be much quieter working out of his house.

BTW I think it's OK to specify the he is in Lexington, he advertises as such:

http://emiliolyons.com/media.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts