Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all carry in your sax case for emergencies ?
1)GLUE
What kind of glue is best just to put the pad on until you can get it properly seated in the shop ? I was using Elmers but it's dried up and I need a new container.
what about this stuff?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072JP16Q3/ref=cm_wl_huc_continue

2)TOOLS
Mini screwdrivers,pliers,scissors,double spring hook and a mini bottle-brush that fits between posts and a
stiff and firm brush for dusting.

3) OTHER
pre-sticky felt in various precut round sizes and a sheet of the same
Various rubber bands

4) PAD Maintenance
the usual swabs, fine sandpaper etc.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Music Medic repair kit is about as convenient as it gets. Maybe add another set of pliers or some different screwdrivers, but in a pinch, works great.

- Saxaholic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,430 Posts
I would carry a Butane lighter for re-heating loose pads. There's also a trick I thought of that could be a huge help with this particularly if the pad falls out of the cup; take a fine-point Sharpie now and put an index mark on each pad and cup. Then you can at least rotate the pad to the same position as before which might help sealing later.
On the spring hook, make sure its push on one end and pull on the other.
Definitely have a set of screwdrivers.
I need reading glasses so I have a very compact set in the tool kit that has a slim tube the size of a fountain pen.
All you need is a half-sheet of the self-adhesive cork 'dots' and a razor blade to cut out shapes if you need them. The adhesive gets old so you might replace this every year or so.
I wouldn't carry any glue, brushes, swabs, sandpaper or anything else.
All I've ever really needed on the job in nearly 60 years of gigging is a screwdriver or two, a rubber band, a lighter and some duct tape.
This tool kit sounds like a good idea but in reality sax players just don't carry this stuff as a rule.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would carry a Butane lighter for re-heating loose pads. There's also a trick I thought of that could be a huge help with this particularly if the pad falls out of the cup; take a fine-point Sharpie now and put an index mark on each pad and cup. Then you can at least rotate the pad to the same position as before which might help sealing later.
On the spring hook, make sure its push on one end and pull on the other.
Definitely have a set of screwdrivers.
I need reading glasses so I have a very compact set in the tool kit that has a slim tube the size of a fountain pen.
All you need is a half-sheet of the self-adhesive cork 'dots' and a razor blade to cut out shapes if you need them. The adhesive gets old so you might replace this every year or so.
I wouldn't carry any glue, brushes, swabs, sandpaper or anything else.
All I've ever really needed on the job in nearly 60 years of gigging is a screwdriver or two, a rubber band, a lighter and some duct tape.
This tool kit sounds like a good idea but in reality sax players just don't carry this stuff as a rule.
Good points

You don't want to take up too much room in your case for sure but I like the idea of a small temporary glue container . I don't play well with fire, I'd probably burn the pad.
I had a pad fall out once and used somebody's fingernail polish to put it back in and left it for years 0:
Really good idea on the glasses. I'm going to do that ASAP.
I recently had a spring break on a gig and it took awhile to figure out what had happened because it was in a hidden and dirty area and I couldn't see it. rubber band fixed it temporarily to finish the gig.

Well you beat me on seniority , I've only got 45 years of gigging under my belt ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,939 Posts
Good regular maintenance by your tech will prevent the need. Otherwise carry a spare sax. ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,131 Posts
By the way, which pad/s are the most likely to fall out?

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I bought one of those eyeglass repair kits at a supermarket checkout. I needed to fix my eyeglasses but couldn't see because I needed my eyeglasses to fix my eyeglasses. What a conundrum.... :compress:

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
By the way, which pad/s are the most likely to fall out?
If pads are glued in properly they never fall out.
They fall out if unsuitable adhesive is used or if hot-melt adhesive - that includes stick shellac - is expected to stick to cold metal.

·
17,204 Posts
I bought one of those eyeglass repair kits at a supermarket checkout. I needed to fix my eyeglasses but couldn't see because I needed my eyeglasses to fix my eyeglasses. What a conundrum.... :compress:
If you have good lighting, and peer through a very small hole - perhaps 1mm in diameter - made by two fingers and a thumb of one hand, no eyeglass is necessary. Then the problem becomes a slightly lesser one of having only one hand available:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
If you have good lighting, and peer through a very small hole - perhaps 1mm in diameter - made by two fingers and a thumb of one hand, no eyeglass is necessary. Then the problem becomes a slightly lesser one of having only one hand available:)
When I do that all I see is two blurry fingers and what is probably a thumb....

·
Registered
171 Posts
If pads are glued in properly they never fall out.
They fall out if unsuitable adhesive is used or if hot-melt adhesive - that includes stick shellac - is expected to stick to cold metal.
So how do you put in a pad so that it will hold for the remainder of the gig?

·
17,204 Posts
When I do that all I see is two blurry fingers and what is probably a thumb....
The hole has to be very close to the eyeball.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts