Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any temporary, emergency band aid alternatives to key swedging?
Say you don't have time to bring the horn to your tech?

I had a fair amount of key swedging done on my SBA tenor last winter, but since then 2 keys have started rattling again; the F# pad cup and the Eb key. I can even see the gap in the rods. Either my tech missed them or the problem just started.

The clicking and rattling is very annoying to me, but it doesn't seem to cause any leaks.

I had a gig last night and not having time to bring in the horn in the days prior, I was tempted to wrap teflon tape or even dental floss :Shocked: in the gaps.

Experience has thought me to never attempt home repairs just before a gig, so don't worry techs, I wasn't really going to do it, but would I have messed up if I had done so?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,678 Posts
Re: Emergency band aid solutions to key swedging?

Sounds like the tech missed those.

As to noticing the new rattle - that might be a cry for lube.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I don't think that a problem which could be solved only by swedging would ever be an emergency. These problems develop very slowly, the horn should play as well as it did yesterday, just take it into a tech when you have time.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I did some work on a horn recently. Someone had wrapped very thin brass wire around the rod to take up slack between the key and the post. They did a neat job of it, and it seemed to work quite well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
If there's that much free play on a key then a rattle is probably the least of your worries - the regulation will be shot to hell...so it's something that needs sorting asap.
In the meantime you can keep the noise down by using a suitably heavy oil:

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/HandyHints/oilaction.htm

You might even get away with smearing a drop of grease into the gaps. It'll be a temporary fix, and will only help to keep the noise down.
I wouldn't risk using anything like tape or wire unless you're really, really sure it's not going to work its way into the key barrel. If it does so during the course of a gig, you'll be stuffed.

Regards,

·
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will bring it to my tech next week.

I was thinking of a hypothetical situation where you get a last minute call for a recording session and you might be worried about the mic picking up the noise.

·
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did some work on a horn recently. Someone had wrapped very thin brass wire around the rod to take up slack between the key and the post. They did a neat job of it, and it seemed to work quite well.
I was thinking of something similar to this. If I can find some wire, I may give it a shot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts