Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JnO3hP5YJw

What is up with the second alto's embouchure at 2:10?? I have watched almost all of the videos of this orchestra, and he always plays the same way, so it can't be an unlucky shot or anything... I assume that he learned to play sax this way and is "stuck" with playing out of the side of his mouth. Is that an appropriate assumption or is there another explanation?

·
Registered
956 Posts
I think this is the "euro" version of the GMO. I believe there are 2, the american one, with Larry O'Brien & this one.

Either way, I can't believe I clicked on this, right after breakfast....my stomach, argh...such bad memories of being on that gig!(u.s.) :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hmmm...... well, it certainly isn't the recommended way to play! On the other hand, if you watch David Sanborn play on You Tube, he's playing slightly off to the right and Kenny G definitely plays off to the right! Apparently, this guy takes it all the way to the right (I don't know how and I really don't want to know how but it must work for him...) Bad memories? Do tell!!

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,910 Posts
I assume that he learned to play sax this way and is "stuck" with playing out of the side of his mouth. Is that an appropriate assumption or is there another explanation?
It could be an injury, cold sore, tooth infection or mouth ulcer causing him to play like that.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,837 Posts
Our Rinus Groeneveld plays like that too......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts