Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have purchased an nice solid silver headjoint for what was a bargain price but I was told the embouchure hole was altered in some fashion by the the previous owner. Visually, the embouchure hole does not seem to be damaged but it plays poorly. Hopefully it hasn't become scrap. Can anyone recommend someone in Australia that does recutting work? I live in NSW but I am happy enough to post. Thanks for your time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,500 Posts
See if you can find a contact for John Lehner. He is a flute maker in Australia. I have two of his instruments.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Dr G. I see he is in Sydney (200km south of me). I'll give him a call. Thanks again.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,530 Posts
If John isnt avaliable I certainly can. Just gave a seminar at the repair convention in melbourne on just this subject....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,116 Posts
A lot depends on how much was cut. If the front was altered by an amature, it may need a new lip and riser. Keep in mind that new sterling heads are around for about $150 US or less. To recut a head can run over $50.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for your imput. I contacted Mr Lehner and I have sent the piece to be looked it. Seems like a good guy. He said he may be able to recut the embouchure hole - or may not, depending on the amount of 'work' that was done previously. If not, there is the option of a replacement lip plate/chimney. I hate waste and would rather repair if possible. Thanks again guys.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,048 Posts
Thank you everyone for your imput. I contacted Mr Lehner and I have sent the piece to be looked it. Seems like a good guy. He said he may be able to recut the embouchure hole - or may not, depending on the amount of 'work' that was done previously. If not, there is the option of a replacement lip plate/chimney. I hate waste and would rather repair if possible. Thanks again guys.
Good plan. If John can’t do it no-one can. What that guy doesn’t know about flutes ain’t worth knowing, he’s brilliant.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So to resolve the story. I posted the head joint to Mr Lehner. When he received it we chatted on the phone for a while. It was a very interesting and useful conversation. He replaced the stopper cork (which I didn't even think of!!!) and worked on the embouchure hole as well. The piece now plays very nicely. He seems like a good guy and as said previously, very knowledgeable. He charged me what I consider a nominal sum for his work. Thanks everyone for their input.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,500 Posts
Thanks for the followup. It's good to know that John is still accessible and doing good work.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
A leaking head cork, or one significantly out of position, or a small air gap between the cork and the mounting plate, all turn a great head into a very disappointing head.
This could have been your main issue! It is common.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree Gordon. It really should've have been one of the first things I considered. Mr Lehner said when he took the stopper out the cork it just fell to pieces! The story with the head joint was that the previous owner had knocked the blowing edge (sorry if this isn't the correct term) causing a very slight nick. So they tried to sand it out. So I'm happy it was repairable. Thanks for your input

1 - 12 of 12 Posts