Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was asked to post an update to my thread asking if embouchure issues were common to us late bloomers.
I hate to admit it, but it seems to be mostly my set up that caused a lack of stamina. I switched from the Bari synthetic to cane and fibracell reeds and noticed right away the other reeds took far less pressure to get them to vibrate.
I went on a three week mouthpiece and reed search and ended up back with my brilhart levelaire 5 but haven't settled on fibracell med/ med soft or Rico royal 2.5 or 3's.

It is frustrating changing setups, I am squeaking and squawking like a beginner! Har But on the plus side I can easily play for over an hour and I can now get through long songs without my mouth turning to rubber.

I had my 1st of 4 lessons with a different instructor (Nelson Hill, Yamaha artist and member of Eric Mintel Quartet) and we are working on tone stuff. He had me do things like key a low C, voice up to a middle C, then a 5th higher and back down, all while fingering the low C. My throat is tired! But I am exited to move on and hopefully get better. Nelson had taken some lessons with Joe Allard and was trained by a couple of his students so of course we talked about lip placement and pressure.

Thanks for all the previous help.
Bob L

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
I was asked to post an update to my thread asking if embouchure issues were common to us late bloomers.
I hate to admit it, but it seems to be mostly my set up that caused a lack of stamina. I switched from the Bari synthetic to cane and fibracell reeds and noticed right away the other reeds took far less pressure to get them to vibrate.
I went on a three week mouthpiece and reed search and ended up back with my brilhart levelaire 5 but haven't settled on fibracell med/ med soft or Rico royal 2.5 or 3's.

It is frustrating changing setups, I am squeaking and squawking like a beginner! Har But on the plus side I can easily play for over an hour and I can now get through long songs without my mouth turning to rubber.

I had my 1st of 4 lessons with a different instructor (Nelson Hill, Yamaha artist and member of Eric Mintel Quartet) and we are working on tone stuff. He had me do things like key a low C, voice up to a middle C, then a 5th higher and back down, all while fingering the low C. My throat is tired! But I am exited to move on and hopefully get better. Nelson had taken some lessons with Joe Allard and was trained by a couple of his students so of course we talked about lip placement and pressure.

Thanks for all the previous help.
Bob L
Sounds like you are in good hands with your new teacher. What you are describing is overtones. They are the nuts and bolts of controlling sax tone.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Overtones.. yeah, something that my regular teacher and I never really spoke about in the last 5 years. I'd consider switching teachers but can't afford Nelson other than as a supplemental teacher for this month. My regular teacher is out until March. But I'll take what I learn and apply it. He also had me order the Jamie Abersold play along, I IV 7??? progression book/cd, so we are gonna work on some other stuff too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts