Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the typical dimensions of hole width and height in one plane of view any one know and is there a max and min size.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
I use about what the industry uses on high end flutes. 11.8mm X 10.2. The diagonal measurement usually runs a bit over 12mm. Now on older flutes that don't have a lot (or any) undercutting, you will find some as large as 12.5 X 10.5.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
And on some flutes, especially old ones, significantly smaller and rounder.
Of course there are several other highly significant parameters.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The hole was definetley smaller on my original headjoint and the new symphony cut head I got .I measured both before and after refiling and finishing ,it went very well .I used a small triangular file to remove material from inside and the used 400,600,800,1000,2000,grit sandpaper to finish then a 3000 polish then a metal paste polish and finally a silvo polish ,Big difference in how they play now lownotes really sing and the whole range sounds richer and a little louder.On the Emerson symphony cut the digital calipers read 12.27X 10.46 mm and my original head reads 11.78 X 10.59mm.I didn't take measurements before I started ,should have though .I have an extra original head the same as first it measures .............. 11.49 X 10.12.I always wanted to try this but never had an extra head around to experiment with glad I did now ,I will play theses 2 heads for a month too get use to them before re- cutting the other original head a bit larger .

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was careful to try and maintain that where could I get one of those special protractors they use for that?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did endup filing all sides of the blow hole but evenly appearance wise probably took offf about .25mm off front and backside of blow hole .I would still like to find a place to buy those particular protractors they use to measure the inside angle though . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdh8O0lrLUo This is a video of me jamming on the altered headjoint,I'm not a pro like most of you but it gives you a good idea of the sound.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts