Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I think that's the "new" Buescher. There are some pros that I hear and am impressed but I think that maybe if I quit my job and worked at nothing but music for 10+ years that I might be able to play somewhat like them, with Ellery it's different. I feel like he is playing a different instrument than I am and that there is no amount of years of practice that would ever get me to that level.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,564 Posts
The horn looks like a Conn to me. This kind of music is out of my realm of experience as a player and listener.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
Wonderful playing at a very high level and Ellery has his own style if not his own sound. i think he is searching again for a sound in his head he can't get out.
That tenor could be his Chu Berry he uses a lot of the time. it must be hard to blow that consistantly on a .120 tip and no baffle to project the way he does but a great player always makes it look easy. good for him. Tony Malaby is another wonderful player i had the pleasure of hearing live...total Monster!!

·
Registered
496 Posts
This kind of music is out of my realm of experience as a player and listener.
Thanks to all of you for the positive comments but I'd especially like to acknowledge this one. I appreciate the respect your comment affords us even as you acknowledge the disconnection.

I realize that this kind of playing may at first seem quite different than more traditional styles but the basic elements are the same. We are more or less breaking these elements up and reassembling them in order to create varying flows, more or less independently, while listening closely to each other to create an overall balance.

But I've also been revisiting standard material and just for fun I put together a sax-centric promotional clip from a recent recording taking one chorus of saxophone solo from every cut. Still rather free but using the song forms...

And by the way, that is the 1927 Conn.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts