Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I quite like this performance.

Notice the drummer isn't constantly banging the cymbals like most drummers do. A cymbal or high hat is like a gong. They should be used very judiciously.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
I enjoyed this, but I disagree. However, Peter Gabriel agrees with you about cymbals in general.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My friend who is an expert musician told me this clip lacks development and balls but that is exactly what I like about it. Some people need more structure I guess. We can't all agree on what the best music is and never will.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
My friend who is an expert musician told me this clip lacks development and balls but that is exactly what I like about it. Some people need more structure I guess. We can't all agree on what the best music is and never will.
Development? It develops like a sunset!

"There is nothing is more musical than a sunset. He who feels what he sees will find no more beautiful example of development in all that book which, alas, musicians read but too little - the book of Nature."
-Claude Debussy

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,092 Posts
Well, his style of playing isn't my favorite. I don't always appreciate everything he does, but my lack of appreciation has the flavor, to me, of MY OWN limitations, and not those of the music. I've come to recognize this feeling of not getting something YET, so I come back to pieces and artists every few years and try to dig in more. This particular piece just entertains me sonically. It SOUNDS great!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Looks like it's time for a plug!

Gerry and I recently released "Inbetween Spaces", a CD recording of improvised duos (as is that video above).

Those looking for a bit more "form" may be interested in "Trio New York" my latest (with Hammond B3 organist Gary Versace and drummer Gerald Cleaver). Samples available on the web page. A freer approach to standards…

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I hadn't noticed that there were samples when I ordered the trio CD. Now I'm even more excited about getting that one after listening to the clips!!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Strange that I posted on this thread this morning and the CDs came in the mail later the same day. I'm just starting to dig into the trio CD, I love it!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
Ellery,

Thank you for pointing us to your website/blog. I hadn't heard your playing for many years, as I have headed back towards more standard tune based playing, seems I have been missing out. The organ trio stuff with Gary is wonderful. I need to order that CD! I also really like your discussion of practice on your blog. Reminds me of some of the things that Warne Marsh used to suggest. Being truly free in any context is the mountain we all climb.

guido

·
Registered
496 Posts
Guido,
Thanks. Yea, much of my practice ethos is related to things I've seen Lee Konitz speak on and demonstrate in a workshop back in the late '70s. As such I've always felt that the process of improvising was essentially the same whether it be on changes or in a free context. Still gotta hear things and make choices.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts