Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been offered this today but not too sure of its age and its value .

It a Elkhorn A DiV of Getzen Elkhart Wis Tenor Saxophone in good condition - the serial number on the back looks like C2829 .

The case looks like a vintage Selmer which again is in good condition but is missing the tongues on the zips.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
I think the case is worth more than the sax, but about $500 together. The sax probably has had a rough life but has been overhauled and relacquered.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm getting a Malerne/Santoni vibe from the keywork and key guards as it looks a lot like the Buffet Evette stencils that they made.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for everyone for taking the time out to respond.

Didnt realise that the case maybe worth more than the saxophone , from the pictures would you say that it is a sixties case ?

I will go and see the seller over the weekend and see what price he will take for it .
thanks again

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
In terms of age of the case...I have a 1967 Selmer Clarinet that my uncle bought new and it is in a gray case like that...called a 'Vanguard' case, I believe.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,945 Posts
It not a Rampone, although most Getzens are indeed Alphonse Rampones.

This was is an Orsi, Italy....

It's quite nice, actually. It is either a closet queen or it's a good relacquer, possible it is the former but cannot tell for sure. Does the horn play ?

Didn't realize that the case maybe worth more than the saxophone ....
It's not.

In good condition, but not playing, the horn + case worth around $400-450. If it actually plays, and is orig. lacq, $550-650 is a fair market value. If a relacq and playable, probably $450-500ish. Orsis are not particularly popular, but they are very respectable players. Nice tone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts