Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am usually an Alto and Bari player but am looking for a decent Tenor. I recently came across 2 for a pretty cheap price. One is an Elkhart Tenor, serial number 90516. The other is a Buescher Aristocrat, serial number 469144. I believe the Aristocrat is from 1965-1970. I do not, however, know anything about the Elkhart. I heard some are either Buescher or Martin stencils but I don't know how to figure that out. I was wondering if anyone had anymore info on either and which one they would recommend more.

Note: I found these online and can't try them out unless they are shipped to me, which will cost money. I was just wondering which one would be recommended more before I spend the money. I can also provide pictures if needed.

Thank you in advance for the help!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Both were considered Buescher's student line horns. The Elkhart being from the 1950's. This serial range of Aristocrat was made after Selmer USA bought out Buescher in the 1960's. I have an Elkhart tenor myself I got for cheap. Great sounding horn and well built compared to modern horns. I hear the 60's Crats are decent too. I personally would go with the Elkhart "a true Buescher" if they are about the same price and condition. I think I read in other posts the Elkhart was a stencil of 1930's Aristocrats. The 1960's Crat is a Bundy stencil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for the help! The Elkhart is $50 cheaper than the Aristocrat and I can probably talk it down for a little less. Now when you say that it is well built compared to modern horns, what would you say is the main difference? Just curious lol. I'm pretty much sold on the Elkhart, just waiting for the guy to reply back to me!

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
The Elkhart would be pretty much hand-made and is essentially a True Tone, a pro horn from the 30's.

The 469,xxx 'Crat would be largely either an Aristocrat from the 50's with the TT's keywork, or some other combination of the two -- still largely Buescher components with slightly better ergonomics than the Elkhart, but with less care in the construction and assembly, as this was the dawn of automation to make things cheaper to build.

Pretty much a crap shoot if you can't play both horns. There are plenty of both that will really knock your socks off. That said, there is a distinct possibility of getting a real dog with the post-Selmer USA Buescher.

You can pick up a pre-1960 Buescher Aristocrat (the real thing) for about $1k -- less if it's really ugly, twice that if it's really pretty. How much money are we talking about here?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recently picked up a "The Martin Tenor" from 1952. Boy Do I love it! Got a great deal on an "just overhauled" horn. I hear you can pick up a stencil for virtually nothing. They dont call them the poor mans mark VI for nothing. These horns are truly great with a feathery action. This is my first recorded song with this horn with the old "no namer" plastic mouthpiece that came with it, but I still think the quality of the horn shines thru.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqnFaphDFZM

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,143 Posts
Pretty much a crap shoot if you can't play both horns.

You can pick up a pre-1960 Buescher Aristocrat (the real thing) for about $1k --
+1 to both these statements, especially the one I put in bold.

Another factor is the playing condition of the horns. If there's only $50 difference in price, but one horn requires $100 worth of work, and the other requires $1000 for an overhaul, then you can do the math and see which is the better deal.

I always say this, but I'd look for a real Aristocrat from the '30s-mid '50s, since they are truly great horns and can be had for a reasonable price.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
I recently picked up a "The Martin Tenor" from 1952. Boy Do I love it! Got a great deal on an "just overhauled" horn. I hear you can pick up a stencil for virtually nothing. They dont call them the poor mans mark VI for nothing. These horns are truly great with a feathery action. This is my first recorded song with this horn with the old "no namer" plastic mouthpiece that came with it, but I still think the quality of the horn shines thru.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqnFaphDFZM
beautiful horn and loved the tone

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,099 Posts
+1 to both these statements, especially the one I put in bold.

Another factor is the playing condition of the horns. If there's only $50 difference in price, but one horn requires $100 worth of work, and the other requires $1000 for an overhaul, then you can do the math and see which is the better deal.

I always say this, but I'd look for a real Aristocrat from the '30s-mid '50s, since they are truly great horns and can be had for a reasonable price.

I'm excited to hear this... I just bought (but have not yet received) a Big B Aristocrat built in '48. I'm looking forward to playing it. Your comments just increase my anticipation...

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
You will be surprised at how big and focused it sounds compared to anything else you've ever played.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,143 Posts
I'm excited to hear this... I just bought (but have not yet received) a Big B Aristocrat built in '48. I'm looking forward to playing it. Your comments just increase my anticipation...
Hey Fader, let us know how you like it after you play it a bit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts