Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scant info from the post. Was wondering if this is worth a look. Asking $380. Looks like an old case:

·
Registered
389 Posts
That horn's been on the bay for a while. Look at the other Elkharts too. $380's kinda high by comparison. There are some sellers are asking under $300. Depends on condition, of course. I've been looking at the Buescher page for a few weeks. Some are listed as Buechers' but are in fact Buescher's second line altos. Not a knock. I hear they're prety good horns. Its just that $380 plus shipping is pretty high, IMO.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This one's local for me. No shipping, could be they'd take a lowball offer at this point. Just wondering if its worth checking out if I could get it for $250/300? I don't really need another alto but since I got my vintage Martin tenor I've gotten interested in the older horns, if this would fall in that category.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
If it is local, I would go and give it a try.
It might be worth the money for you if you like the way it plays and if you don't need to put much more money to get it in playing condition. After all, what else can you get for $300?
Some people love these old Buescher, even the Elkharts.

·
Registered
873 Posts
There's one on Seattle CL for $250. I sold a silverplated one for less than $200 a couple years ago. Wouldn't pay $380 for that one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,860 Posts
Ok, little known fact....be careful on THESE horns. Buescher screwed up a batch of these altos...production defect that makes them basically untunable by modern standards. My old tech, a factory trained guy from WAY back put me hip to this.

One day I was lamenting to him about my first alto (you guessed it, this very horn) and he then he told me it was no wonder...and then proceeded to tell me about this production goof.

Of course not all of the horns in this line were affected, but lucky me, I got one. I wouldn't buy one of these unless I could play it first and put it on a tuner to make sure it isn't one of the faulty ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts