Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a Elkhart 21A alto and would like to know what type of pads were fitted to it originally: plain, rivet, or with resonators of some kind?

It's currently sporting a set of plastic resonator pads in excellent shape. However...I've owned two Pan Am 48Ms; the first had a new set of plastic resonator pads fitted; the one I own now has a mixture of vintage plain and single-rivet pads and I find I much prefer this setup to the resonators. If the 21A originally came this way, I think I'd consider going OEM-type with it, too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,950 Posts
Just picked up a Elkhart 21A alto and would like to know what type of pads were fitted to it originally: plain, rivet, or with resonators of some kind?

It's currently sporting a set of plastic resonator pads in excellent shape.

However...the one I own now has a mixture of vintage plain and single-rivet pads and I find I much prefer this setup to the resonators.

If the 21A originally came this way, I think I'd consider going OEM-type with it, too.
Knowing what year it is will help determine what may have been originally used. Like rivets or snap in pads.

If it has a good set of pads in it now why monkey with it?

Not sure what you’re description of plain is? Does plain mean flat resonator or nothing at all?
See post #3 is a plain pad. https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?352138-Rudy-Wiedoeft-alto-1930-cleaning-pictures

This should help you on your choice too.
http://www.music.mcgill.ca/caml/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=publications:isma2014_eveno.pdf

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, pigsquealer.

The S/N on this 21A is in the 94,000 range--a '56, perhaps? It is my understanding that snap-in pads were not utilised on the 21A.

The horn is going in next week for service. It is unlikely to need pads, but if pads do need replacement, I'd like to have a plan in place as to what to replace them with.

By plain, I mean a flat pad with no rivet, stitch, or resonator. My 48M has plain pads on the smaller tone holes, and rivet pads on the larger ones. If the 21A didn't come with resonators, I'd wager that it was also equipped as such.

·
3,950 Posts
The difference between plain and rivets is practically 0. If you only need a few pads replaced stick with what you have. Mid ‘50’s I’m guessing rivets. Other members are more knowledgeable than I on this one.

·
873 Posts
According to a 1950s catalog, Elkhart saxophones are "Equipped with rivet pads to prevent center swelling".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts