1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
600 Posts
All that music sounds to me like the kind of stuff the old 70's fusion bands would use to introduce their music,then they would actually perform a tune. All of these just don't go any where at all or do any thing except irritate me while I uselessly wait for something to happen . That's just me,YMMV.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I love the usage of electronic sounds. However, I don't particularly crave dubstep, Drum and Bass, Trance, etc.

I've written quite a bit of electronic music. The composer must find access, regardless of the sound source, to enable what it is the composer is trying accomplish.
Electronics has optionally enabled this function.

This is more my speed.

·
Registered
105 Posts
There is good and bad in all genres.
The band 'Plaid' who where formerly known as 'the black dog' are very good. Check out their cd 'greedy baby' and black dog 'spanners'. They are on the 'warp' label and this label has other good stuff such as autechre, Boards of Canada and broadcast. Also have a listen to 'cinematic orchestra' or DJ shadow for more jazzy sounds.
For more 'pop' electronica I used to like bjork, leftfield, massive attack.
there is a lot of creative stuff out in the 'electronica' genres and also lots of rubbish.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the question was about Electronic music not those particular genres then that's different. I work with two composers currently who work purely in electronic sounds. Edgar Varese is a favourite composer who I found out about through Frank Zappa. Wonderful music.
Yeah, all genres is good. I love electronic soundscapes and the like. Smooth jazz backgrounds and fusion stuff ala Greenhouse sounds fabulous!

However, I'm interested in the opinions on the those genres in particular as it is my belief that they will be pretty big in the coming years as far as moving into the mainstream listening category. As well, putting aside any preconceived ideas about the genre and listening to the music from an intellectual standpoint.
The usage of the software synths to create the moving basses is quite incredible, I think these genres really exploit the power of a computer and it blows me away how much can be done without ever touching an instrument.

When I heard it, I wanted to hate it, but I must admit that there are aspects that fascinate me. Anyone else hear what I hear?

Open to all opinions, lovin and hatin. Very curious as to what other (I'd say) traditional instrumentalists have to say about computer based musical creation and the eruption of the genre in the Americas and Europe as maintream.

Cheers

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is good and bad in all genres.
there is a lot of creative stuff out in the 'electronica' genres and also lots of rubbish.
Rubbish music is always going to be there and there's a surge of it as the internet is taking over and everyone has access to basic sequencing software, but I want to look at the good stuff and try to incorporate new things into my playing and recording style.
I agree completely, looking for opinions on the good stuff, if anyone has picked anything out of the crowd they particularly liked.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,364 Posts
Just recently got into playing over Brian Eno recordings- some of his 1970s ambient stuff as well as the splendidly atmospheric second side to David bowie’s Heroes album. For building atmosphere these are superb and make a very interesting backdrop to improvise over if you’re looking for something a bit different to get your musical teeth into….. electronic music in general – a my old drummer used to say- “there are only two types of music- good music and bad music, that’s all there is to it”.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
I find it amusing that dubstep is all that silly stuff we used to do with synthesizers with a dance beat added.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
I like a lot of it but when tend to "hear" it versus "listen" to it. And there are so many labels for electronica I lose track of them. I heard this stuff all the time in Europe on the radio, in clubs - everywhere.. I never hear it here and I miss it. So I listen to European internet radio.

Also there is some very creative use integrating electronica with older, established styles and live performance with accoustic instruments. I like some things I've seen/heard by Marcus Stockhausen or Nils Petter Molvaer. Really, when you think of it, you have to give credit to Jan Garbarek and some of the things he did in the 60s as a precursor of this genre of mixed electronics and accoustic instruments.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Some more albums that mix more acoustic sounds with electronica: -
Cartography by Arve Henriksen mixes electronics, samples and trumpet, great album
The band Food, has electronics and the sax playing of Iain Ballamy
The guitarist with Nils Peter Molvaer's band has some interesting CD's
The above Cd's are either on ecm or rune gramaphon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts