Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Does anybody knows the existence of a digital saxophone but with real keys and format?

What I mean is for example: An alto saxophone that does not need to blow into to play sound for the headphones plugged to it.
This would allow me to practice scales and other stuff, to create finger memory, at any time in the evening and without tired myself. May be while watching TV... ;)

The basic idea of a digital sax but with a REAL saxophone body and that have the option to produce the digital sound to headphones by just hitting the keys.
It does not need to have a million sounds and effects. Only headphone volume. I only want to ear the notes I'm playing. This will improve the learning of scales and licks.

The existing digital saxophones are not the ideal to practice because all the body and keys are different.
To learn some licks and scales in a digital Akay and later to blow it in a real saxophone we would spent time again to adjust the training done earlier.

This are only my thoughts and my needs.
If you guys know the existence of a sax like this or have any extra opinion please feel free to advise.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Hi All
An alto saxophone that does not need to blow into to play sound for the headphones plugged to it...

...that have the option to produce the digital sound to headphones by just hitting the keys.
Many Thanks
You will always need to blow when playing the sax, electronic or not! AFAIK

·
Registered
203 Posts
Does that generate sound without blowing?

My Casio DH-100 will do that, but the problem is that it isn't exact saxophone fingering system.
I contacted the Synthophone folks regarding this issue, because I want to get a vocoder sound. They said it is easily configured so that you can make sound without blowing into the mouthpiece...

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,550 Posts
I contacted the Synthophone folks regarding this issue, because I want to get a vocoder sound. They said it is easily configured so that you can make sound without blowing into the mouthpiece...
There you go then, that is ideal for you. Question answered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi All
Thank you so much for your help.

If the Synthophone can indeed play without blowing I can see only 2 more issues for my "lazy" and portable training.
It should be like a soprano but cutting the bell to the place where the keys start, and maybe also at the top.
This way I could train everywhere I go.
And of course... the price. Is insane.

The Lyricon is more portable but, it seems that the keys as you say are not like the sax.

Anyway this 2 have too much sh*t. Don't need my sax to make coffee an all. Just need to ear what I'm doing.

Don't you guys feel the need or would like to have a mini-sax with headphones? Like the Yamaha or Akay but:
- Smaller (portable in a briefcase). May be it could be fold above F.
- not too expensive. (could be plastic, I imagine it in black mate) Like $200. Since would not be an instrument, but a training object. No need for expensive technique, materials or leeks in the key holes. Just a sax body with the same mechanic keys and sensors connected to a digital board.
- with all the keys to F#
- With battery.
- With just a few type of sounds, like Tenor,Soprano,Alto,Baritone, trumpet, piano. No need for more for the propose.
- And it would be great to have the option to blow or not to blow. ;)

I google it everywhere. Nothing like this exists.

If one of you fellows saxophonists grab this idea and go to Shark Tank with an attractive and working prototype and get rich, please have the decency :) to offer me one.

Thanks for the help

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,550 Posts
Don't you guys feel the need or would like to have a mini-sax with headphones? Like the Yamaha or Akay but:
Neither Yamaha nor Akay (ie Akai) make anything close to this. They do make wind controllers, but these are not what you want.

If there was a demand for what you want, then it would be catered for. Well it is, the synthophone. It's not that expensive for what it is, but it could be a lot cheaper if they sold more and could make them more efficiently but that really just goes to show the demand is not there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,152 Posts
The closest you'll get is the wx5. It requires breath but you can adjust how much. You can set it to generate signal without breath but then you have no way to stop the sound. You need a trigger. Breath is it on a wind controller. Hence the name. You'll need a laptop for a sound generator or a vl70 which is a half-rack space tone modeler. The fingerings are pretty much accurate.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a Yamaha Keyboard that will play sax as well as just about every other instrument ever designed. That is how I got interested in the Sax in the first place. No wind involved, just electricity and fingers. Cheap too......LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I've been reading a bit.

This is my website. I think this instrument is based on the Lyricon, because they look almost identical.

This unit makes no sound at all, it triggers a midi synth, the synth sound is fed back into the controller's rack mount box and the volume of the synth is regulated by wind pressure, regardless of the patch chosen.

Jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I All

So, we are in 2017 and no brand has come with a saxophone fingering item.

They only made two kind:
- Digital sax (headphone available, portable, but NOT saxophone fingering)
- Jsax,Venova (not headphone available, produce sound and NOT saxophone fingering

This kind of saxophones are not good to practice on them, if the goal is to play a real saxophone, because you are practicing different fingerings.

So... It seems the only way to keep trainning saxophone is keep blowing and make sound to eveyone near me.
Or.. make my own practice sax.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I All

So, we are in 2017 and no brand has come with a saxophone fingering item.

They only made two kind:
- Digital sax (headphone available, portable, but NOT saxophone fingering)
- Jsax,Venova (not headphone available, produce sound and NOT saxophone fingering

This kind of saxophones are not good to practice on them, if the goal is to play a real saxophone, because you are practicing different fingerings.

So... It seems the only way to keep trainning saxophone is keep blowing and make sound to eveyone near me.
Or.. make my own practice sax.
Hey, I just found one with exact sound and fingering of a traditional saxophone- Roland AE-10 Aerophone. But I'm about to quit my job. So don't have any money for the investment. If anyone has tried this before, please tell use how it feels like compare to a real sax. I really want something that I can practice in my apartment without getting shot by my neighbor.

·
Banned
8,205 Posts
I'm tempted to get one of the Rolands if I can get a long return policy. The EWI was just too touch sensitive for me and I didn't want to put the time in to really get the hang of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts