Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the way my sax sounds with some hall effect in it, but some of the gigs I do are in small auditoriums where the natural volume of the sax is enough. How can I tone down my "natural presents" to allow my effects to be heard in these small areas without having to sacrifice tone quality by playing softly?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
TenorTim said:
I love the way my sax sounds with some hall effect in it, but some of the gigs I do are in small auditoriums where the natural volume of the sax is enough. How can I tone down my "natural presents" to allow my effects to be heard in these small areas without having to sacrifice tone quality by playing softly?
Change the wet/dry ratio to 100% wet, and turn it up to match your sax when you are playing in a small hall.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Check out this thread http://forum.saxontheweb.net/archive/index.php/t-14579.html for information on sound reflectors for saxophones. They're usually used as personal monitors. I do not have experience with them but wonder if they would reflect enough sound back at you to keep it from reaching the audience and, in essence, quiteting the acoustic sound going out to the audience.

To be honest, adding Hall effect, reverbs, or delays when you're in an auditorium that naturally reflects a lot of sound can muddy things up and have some negative effects on your overall sound. Be careful not to add too much.

That said, I like Hakukani's idea. It's best if you can have someone in the audience controlling the levels if possible.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks for the link, vermontsax. I'm always getting blasted by our singer and guitars/bass and the onstage monitors are almost always useless for me. For my buget, this may just be what the doctor ordered!! (Muscle memory only goes so far.)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Back-to-back AND hakukani and martysax's posts relate and make sense,
in a martysax sort of way. Is that a sign the End Is Near?

Lately I hear a lot of reverb naturally (the meds) but this sounds like fun.
I've never used an amp w/sax and coming from guitar I might not
have thought of doing reverb on '11.' Filed for future reference. Thanks.

·
Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
10,794 Posts
rabbit said:
Back-to-back AND hakukani and martysax's posts relate and make sense,
in a martysax sort of way. Is that a sign the End Is Near?
If the end is near, pray for absence of flatulence.

rabbit said:
Lately I hear a lot of reverb naturally (the meds)
I hear a flanger and a phase shifter along with a chorus of castrati sometimes. Which meds give reverb?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Opioids.
Hmmm, what if we add steroids?

Where are you getting your "flanger & phase shifter?"
The rest, don't tell me.

Magnus Flatus Saxophonus
(a hard act to follow)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
martysax said:
I hear a flanger and a phase shifter along with a chorus of castrati sometimes. Which meds give reverb?
The ones I had in the 70s.:cool:

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
There's always already room sound in whatever room you're in. I'm personally sick of soundmen who think they're Lee "Scratch" Perry who stick piles of reverb and delay on my (and that of performers at gigs i go to see) horns. Especially with acoustic jazz.
I went to see Sonny Rollins 2 fridays ago and there was tons of reverb on his horn. Despite the fact that they were playing in the theatre that the symphony plays in which has tons of good old fashioned natural room reverb.

·
Registered
6 Posts
rabbit said:
Opioids.
Hmmm, what if we add steroids?
Where are you getting your "flanger & phase shifter?"
The rest, don't tell me.

Magnus Flatus Saxophonus
(a hard act to follow)

Hell no. Don't add Steroids! They make the farts worse, and you end up looking like a Cabbage Patch Doll.... Believe me, I know from experience!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
martysax said:
Actually, N2O does a good job.

:D
Yeah, I remember when I had my wisdom teeth out. Old fashioned way, in the chair. Novacaine and N2O. I couldn't find the door when I got up.

I was never a Deadhead, however.

·
10,794 Posts
hakukani said:
Yeah, I remember when I had my wisdom teeth out. Old fashioned way, in the chair. Novacaine and N2O. I couldn't find the door when I got up.
Howowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowow Diyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyd youwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwu liyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyike it?

hakukani said:
I was never a Deadhead, however.
Frankly, I thought you were a member of the band!

(neither was I, but I partied and played ultimate with them)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
martysax said:
Howowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowow Diyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyd youwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwu liyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyike it?

Frankly, I thought you were a member of the band!

(neither was I, but I partied and played ultimate with them)
Someday, you and me gotta have a sit-down, have some drinks, and tell other stories.

I might include some true stories. They're the weird ones.

·
10,794 Posts
hakukani said:
Someday, you and me gotta have a sit-down, have some drinks, and tell other stories.

I might include some true stories. They're the weird ones.

I stopped making stuff up over 35 years ago. Reality is just so f'n bizarre sometimes, and people wonder why I play my horns the way I do!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Steroid flatus (thanks Circle 7!), novocaine, N2O
and "old fashioned way, in the chair" sounds like
the best Merit Badge a boy scout could earn.

You guys were scouts?

·
10,794 Posts
rabbit said:
Steroid flatus (thanks Circle 7!), novocaine, N2O
and "old fashioned way, in the chair" sounds like
the best Merit Badge a boy scout could earn.

You guys were scouts?
Funny, my Scoutmaster was a dentist too!

Yup, I made Life scout, and almost made Eagle. Life happened rather quickly when I turned 16, and I wasn't able to continue.

I miss going into the woods and getting in touch with mother nature like the old daze.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
My scoutmaster was a chiropracter, and his three sons kept me from being SPL.

I never was interested in merit badges, other than some botany I picked up. I found really interesting plants my final year at summer camp.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts