Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a quick and dirty video showing some real-time effects processing using Cantabile Lite as a plugin host. Most of these plugins are 32-bit and all of them are free. I had the following in the chain (not necessarily this order) OrilRiver reverb, Bionic Supa Delay, Topaz Dynafilter, and TAL Chorus LX. At one point, I had to cut the volume a little when I had everyone going at the same time. Probably not something one would do often, but it does sound pretty trippy!

I also like a free plugin called OC-D2 Octaver to get suboctave effects, but I didn't have that in this chain. If you try that one, it takes a little time to get all the settings worked out. The default sound was awful, but once I got it setup and saved my settings it actually works kind of nice.

You could also use any of these plugins in a DAW like Sonar or Reaper. I was comparing a handful of different reverb plugins and like that OrilRiver the best on my sax. I don't have the Valhalla reverb, that's another highly recommended one (for a modest $50). I do have the Valhalla Freq Echo, that's another very cool sounding one.

https://youtu.be/E0OG-oqZPGk

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The original audio was captured using an Audio Technica Pro37R lipstick condenser microphone and my Behringer UMC204HD audio interface via Audacity (48khz). For the effects demo, I'm actually playing the uncompressed audio back through the system using my iPhone.

One note, I accidentally had the chorus on at the beginning, so you don't hear the actual unprocessed (or reverb only) sax during the clip. I really like that reverb though, I haven't even messed around with all the controls that much. I just tweaked the first preset so the signal wasn't so "wet" and adjusted the room size and decay time. That OrilRiver reverb seems really well suited for the saxophone. I like the TAL Reverb-4 also, but the OrilRiver seems a bit warmer sounding and has more controls. That envelope filter works quite good, if you like that sort of effect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts