Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone suggest some effects boards or pedals I can hook up with my axe? I was inspired by some of the stuff Josh Redman is doing with the Elastic band to give it try with my group.

anyhelp would be appreciated.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Although i have have hooked up my entire board plus my maestro unit to my sax all i ever really use is my maestro and delay pedal. The Maestro gives me an octave down and different voicings. I really love the way Chorus sounds with sax though, especialy with delay.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
215 Posts
I too have used maestro and almost all pedals. Now using just delay in the Alesis microverb. That being said, chorus is also fun to play with.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I run an AKG wireless mic. directly through a Digitech S-100 controlled with a Yamaha Midi footpedal. Some would debate whether this is a "healthy" way to wire things up but according to Digitech, it's fine and it sounds great (many would say that I should have a small mixer in the loop but the S-100 has a "non-mixer" mode which allows you to control dry and wet levels).

The S-100 is a bear to program but once you get the hang of it, it's got some nice delays and reverbs. You can program up to 99 effects and use two at a time (i.e. pitch shift with reverb or delay with reverb or flanger with phaser, etc.). It's versatile enough for me and nice for the bar-band scene.

My standard sound is a reverb, I have a "mute" set up (compressor at extreme settings to mute the output when I'm switching the mic unit on or off or bending down close to the monitor to pick up a beer). I have a "boost" setting which is the compressor and reverb set to boost the gain a bit for soloing. It has a noise gate which works great for a live setting (it only passes sound above a threshold which helps to keep other instruments from bleeding through your mic when you're not playing and can reduce feedback).

You can modify the EQ with each program which, while it is a pain, does allow you to come up with some interesting effects. It's got chorus, flanger, phaser, vocoder (which some day I will rig up to try), compressor, pitch shifter, and several delays and reverbs.

I have read that some sax players like to use a harmonizer. This unit is lacking in that respect. In addition, I would love to try out a wah effect which this unit does not have either (nor does it have a modulation pedal input or volume control input). Finally, this unit does lack a tap-input which would be nice in a live setting for certain effects (unless you use a drum machine or your drummer is really tempo-conscious).

That said, I have been very pleased with it otherwise. You really can create mild to wild effects to match what you want to do. This is not for everyone but it works for me.

- Mike

·
Registered
60 Posts
vermontsax said:
I have read that some sax players like to use a harmonizer. This unit is lacking in that respect. In addition, I would love to try out a wah effect which this unit does not have either (nor does it have a modulation pedal input or volume control input). Finally, this unit does lack a tap-input which would be nice in a live setting for certain effects (unless you use a drum machine or your drummer is really tempo-conscious). - Mike
That sounds an interesting setup. How do you find the MIDI control pedal? I have a Quadraverb, which I don't use anymore for recording - maybe I'll look into using it live with just such a pedal. The quality will probably better the pedal board I use, a Roland Boss ME-50.

By the way, the ME-50 has an expression pedal, which doubles as a wah wah pedal plus tap delay and modulation. It also has a harmonizer, which is the main reason for using it. It's weak point is the reverb. I program delay and harmonizer patches and adjust the reverb levels manualy. That's where knobs are better than menus and buttons :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
kwg333 said:
That sounds an interesting setup. How do you find the MIDI control pedal? I have a Quadraverb, which I don't use anymore for recording - maybe I'll look into using it live with just such a pedal. The quality will probably better the pedal board I use, a Roland Boss ME-50.
QUOTE]

I found mine on Ebay. Do a search in their musical instrument section for "MIDI Pedal", "MIDI Footpedal", "MIDI Foot", or just "Footpedal". You'll get a lot of organ and keyboard pedals but in that noise, you'll find some like the one I found. Yamaha made the one I purchased which is just a pedal board with two banks of four channels. ART makes (and made) some and there are probably a few other manufacturers out there. Hunt around long enough and you should find one used for under $50.

I'm not sure if anyone makes these new anymore. I saw a Behringer pedal but it cost more than some of their effects pedals (similar to your ME 50).

I found an ME 50 on ebay at one point when I was looking for this MIDI pedal and almost bought it because it sounded like it would be really cool. I decided not to because I would not have had the chance to try it out first. Good luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hersch17 said:
Can anyone suggest some effects boards or pedals I can hook up with my axe? I was inspired by some of the stuff Josh Redman is doing with the Elastic band to give it try with my group.

anyhelp would be appreciated.
I am using a Line 6 Echo Park for some signature sax stuff in my band (Man Eater, Who can it be now?, etc.) I use it for alot of solos just to get an edge, with the repeat turned down low. It's affordable and rugged. I also got a 1spot power cord for the thing, don't waste your money on the stock power adapter either, mine shredded in 2 gigs.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EchoPark

http://www.visualsound.net/1spot.htm

I'm looking to go wireless soon with a small mixer and powered monitor as well so I can control my monitor needs. This setup will fit right in with my plans for the extra equipment. Now all I need is an octave pedal that goes octave up to fatten section work with my tenor.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I use an analog delay pedal into a reverb pedal, and adjust each, according to the room and the song. I've tried all-in-one effects boxes before, to include TC Heliicon Voiceworks (really good, but kinda hard to use in live situations) and an old Peavy ProFex slaved to a midi controller.

Nowadays, I don't do the harmony or wild effect thing so much, and just concentrate on getting a good basic sound that's appropriate for the room. I have an EQ and compressor as well that I'll pull out occasionally...but mostly the delay into reverb works just fine.

I've found that (for me) its much more enjoyable finding one good sound that works for 80% of the night's songs, and making quick adjustments for the occasional slow or 'out there' song.
-A

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
Here are two multi-effects suggestions:

Boss GT6: This is no longer the flagship Boss multi-effects pedal (now it's the GT-8), so you might find a cheap GT-6 on ebay. It's big and heavy, but IMO, it has many excellent effects, including some that are excellent for wind instruments. It's very flexible and includes a built in volume/wah pedal. It fits in a $39.00 ProTec pedal board case. For more money, you could go with the GT-8. A friend of mine has a GT-8, likes it, and finds it really easy to use in his digital recording setup.

Line 6 X3 Live (or plain X3 with separate foot controller): The X3 Live is also a big, heavy multi-effects board with a built in volume/wah pedal. But the X3 line is new, so don't count on finding one cheap. For personal reasons, I got the X3 with separate foot controller rather than the X3 Live, but most gigging musicians will prefer the Live if they don't already own a Line 6 controller. (The Live has a handful of features not found in the X3, including effects send/return and even more I/O options.) Anyway . . . The X3 has good support for vocal and acoustic applications with presets and six (6) modeled vocal/mic preamps. Plus, if you play guitar or bass as well as sax, you have the option of setting up the dual channels completely independently (i.e., different preamps/amps, effects-chains, cabinets, etc.), and routing them to different outputs. Think hard before you buy one, though: It'll cost you, and not everyone likes modeled sounds as well as tubes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just bought an electro harmonix tube zipper so I can get that filtery wah sound and get some tube distortion to make the axe sound meaner. I can let you know how it sounds in a about a week when i get it and have time to use it. Let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
83 Posts
yea man that pedal is a bad motha. It should sound amazing on sax. Probably one of the best autowahs, plus EHX allways adds in extra over-the-top stuff.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Autowah! Looks Like I Need More Toys!

My current setup is the bomb!I first start with a Furman SP-8 STEREO pedalboard.This board conditions ac power and supplies CLEAN POWER TO EVERYTHING including up to eight stomps and three wallwarts.I play through an early model series one samson wireless I had to send back three times to be repaired when I bought it new @1998.This connects to the first input via balanced out (no di needed)of the wireless.Next in the line is a Toadworks enveloope auto dynamic effects loop.I set the incoming level where I can play at a moderate volume and not have the "loop" kick in(clean sound).When I want to be heard! I put some lungs to my horn and the effects "loop" kicks in the compressed sound while the EQ boosts my DB's and puts back any highs or whatever is needed for the room(dirty sound).I have tried blues drivers,distortion and a host of other effects while playing gigs with guitar players who as we all know started the stomp box craze but really don't like changing what a beautiful sound a good sax creates and prefer the term enhance(Thats the BS I feed my wife anyway)!In the "loop" is a Toadworks Mr Squishy compressor to a Boss GE-7 then back to the return side of the "loop".From there I split into a Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb using a high quaility trs Y I modified to monural due to the fact that Boss pedals don't like trs connections.From there it goes back to the board in stereo and back out to a Boss DD-6 Digital Delay and finally back to the board.By keeping the delay and reverb out of the "loop" leaves them uneffected by the enveloope during softer playing while still providing a full sound.I prefer devices I can put my hands on to adjust or for that matter take out without losing the rest of my chain(problems can happen).Having A stereo board allows me to turn on and off with no popping on LOSS OF TONE at all.I play a Cannonball Stone Series Raven with a modified neck I purchased from Scimonetti's about a year ago and I EAT GUITAR PLAYERS FOR BREAKFAST!!!When I want to and always with concern for their EGO of course.This is my first reply to anything that I have read here on SOTW.Opinions are not only welcome but incouraged!Happy Holidays!!PS:Santa I Need More Toys

·
5,316 Posts
saxpheen said:
My current setup is the bomb! . . .

[Insert a multitude of details here]​

Happy Holidays!!PS:Santa I Need More Toys
My poor head is spinning! You obviously have a lot of experience which has resulted in a setup that works well for you. Please stick around SOTW. We may be tapping your brain, and there are some pretty electro-savy guitar doublers who can help you out. We even have some folks who have built amps etc for a living. BTW, my humble set up includes guitars and a few electronic goodies too, so I enjoy hearing from experienced guitarists and electro-savy experts.

Oh yes, and Happy Holidays to you too!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I use a Digitech VX400.

Pretty much everything you could need is there. You need to be careful with the levels to stop feedback though. I use it mainly for Reverb, but it has a volume control on it so I can have some control over my own volume (very useful).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hello everyone. This is actually my first post here, although I have been browsing for some time to see what others have to say. I have been playing pro for 13 yrs, mostly on Tenor. I saw this pedal, etc. thread and had to sign up. I play in a funk, rock, etc band around town and have experimented with a pedal setup for some time and have found something that really works for me. I use the AT 350 clip on mic into a Presonus tube pre XLR (to control my own levels and to convert to the proper signal), into various pedals, currently the BOSS envelope filter, chorus, flanger, Digitech Wammy, and BOSS delay, then into a DI box to send a XLR signal back to the board. Basically sax into the preamp, into the pedals, into the DI to the house. It works great. The trumpet player in the bank has a digitech multi pedal and it sounds cold and always has feedback issues. I mounted the thing on a pedalboard I made from plywood. That way I could get "custom" with the wires. It has a power strip mounted under the back and I have the I spot adapter.

By the way, I play a 1965 selmer mark VI, I am currently playing with different mouthpieces but usually play an old Lawton9*B or a guardala brecker. I just got a metal and a wood lebayle so we will see.

Thanks guys. Questions welcome if you have any.

·
Registered
135 Posts
saxpheen:

I was trying to understand your post...are you saying you're sending two signals into the board? One being a compressed, eq'd signal (compression kicks in when you blow hard) and the other being a straight signal? Are both signals then treated with reverb/delay effects?

·
Registered
57 Posts
More to my first post, as I had to feed my GAS, I purchased an POG (polyphonic octave generator) for my board. It allows one octave below and one octave above the dry signal. Should sound like three saxes playing in unison. Planning on using it during horn heavy sections.

Now I have to make a board for all my effects. :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Here are two multi-effects suggestions:

Boss GT6: This is no longer the flagship Boss multi-effects pedal (now it's the GT-8), so you might find a cheap GT-6 on ebay. It's big and heavy, but IMO, it has many excellent effects, including some that are excellent for wind instruments.
Lamplight,

Thanks for the advice. My midi pedal died after someone knocked the power supply off the stage so I decided to try to find a new setup (I wanted a harmonizer and a wah - two things my Digitech setup does not provide) and for the price, a used GT6 on ebay seemed to be the best way to go. In fact, from the looks of things I could probably do a MIDI send from that board to my Digitech if I really want. Incidentally, they're going for under $200 USD on ebay.

So far, so good. I'm working on tweaking-out this monster and it's exactly like you say it is - a lot of effects with a lot of control over those effects. Sure, it's tailored to the guitarist but a good number of the patches are perfect for sax. Thanks again!

- Mike

·
5,316 Posts
Glad to hear it Mike. :cheers:

BTW, I didn't think it would be right at the time to mention that my own GT-6 - in fine condition - is available. But now that you've gotten set up: If anyone else is interested in a used GT-6, PM me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts