Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what Gerald Albright is doing in this video at 23:03 (https://youtu.be/vS7Rwq0LLv0)

I'm guessing it's something to do with false/double density fingerings, but not entirely sure.

I'd love to be able to work out how to play it.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,027 Posts
I'm guessing it's something to do with false/double density fingerings, but not entirely sure.

I'd love to be able to work out how to play it.
saxcop nailed it.

Not sure what you mean by "double density" fingerings, but yes he is using an alternate fingering, going back and forth between it and the normal fingering.

Try this (as saxcop suggests): Play your normal fingering on the note 'A', then close all three right hand tone holes. Notice the different timbre. Now go back and forth by lifting and closing those three right hand fingers. It's a very easy effect and a great one. You can do this on other notes as well, once you find the appropriate alternate fingerings.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
saxcop nailed it.

Not sure what you mean by "double density" fingerings, but yes he is using an alternate fingering, going back and forth between it and the normal fingering.

Try this (as saxcop suggests): Play your normal fingering on the note 'A', then close all three right hand tone holes. Notice the different timbre. Now go back and forth by lifting and closing those three right hand fingers. It's a very easy effect and a great one. You can do this on other notes as well, once you find the appropriate alternate fingerings.
Has anyone ever figured out what to call this technique? I've seen "false fingerings" used quite a lot. However, with other creative names like "growling", "The Adderly trill", "The Texas Wobble", and "Slap Tongue", I'd think that we would be a bit more creative in naming such an important technique. What about, "The Maceo"?

·
Administrator
17,301 Posts
What about, "The Maceo"?
Better to give the credits to guys who used it already in the 30's (like Lester Young and Herschel Evans).

I'm actually more in favour of a logical naming convention, something like the "A alternative fingering".

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,027 Posts
Better to give the credits to guys who used it already in the 30's (like Lester Young and Herschel Evans).
+1. But otoh, why name it at all? Who cares what it's called? It's a sound effect. Maybe not naming it keeps it more mysterious, in the realm of "what was that and how'd they do it?"

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,953 Posts
There is some alternate fingering aka double densities but combined with ghost or half tonguing (which some people call doodle tonguing)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts