Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Since this is my first post:

I´m David, started with the saxophone (alto) about two years ago. I love it, making a bit of progress now, I´m working on some tunes from Johnny Hodges.

The repair shop nearby is going to offer an Conn 26m as soon as it comes out of repair. I haven´t heard yet whether it´s going to be expensive :)

They mentioned that the microtuner has been removed. Does anybody know whether that´s a wise thing to do? Does it alter the integrity or tuning of the neck?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,837 Posts
No but it certainly diminishes its value and considerably so, at least for a collector. There are 26 M's that didn't have microtuners with underslung necks sold in GB and there were the ones with the incredibly beautiful NY neck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,196 Posts
Were Conns made without tuners for GB or did the importers remove them? I've seen quite a few 6Ms without microtuners here. All seem to have been LaFluer imports.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,970 Posts
The repair shop nearby is going to offer an Conn 26m as soon as it comes out of repair.....they mentioned that the microtuner has been removed.
That tech gets the Idiot of the Month Award, then. Unless it was fused and irreparable....that guy (or girl) just took one of the rarest Altos of all time and removed one of its signature features.....

.....niiiiiiiiiice......

Although arguable that microtuners are a necessity...they are one of those things which you really don't wanna remove on an old horn like that. For me, a guy who deals vintage...that decision to remove an original microtuner from the original neck (I am assuming this was the case) ....is stupefying (again, unless there was a functional reason).

They will probably try to sell it for a bundle....without being aware that their "improvement" has just bitten them on the #ss.....

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,837 Posts
Were Conns made without tuners for Gb or did the importers remove them? I've seen quite a few 6Ms without microtuners here. All seem to have been LaFluer imports.
I think that I've read that they were especially made without a microtuner. Again the New York neck of the 26 M has to be one of the most beautiful necks which was ever used on a saxophone

1 - 6 of 6 Posts