·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Would this be suitable?
Good question, suitable for what? - the paper specs suggest that it would be a handy interface for recording instruments (quite a wide variety) onto a computer.

If that's what you want to do then perhaps it will - but if you are looking for a "live performance tool" I'd think not.

I'd ignore the effects - the usual golden rule is "Get it down clean" and you can add the effects later (often in software).

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

I was talking about it suitable for as a home-recording tool.
I'm a beginner at this. Can you help me?

I just have a AKG C419 clip on mic. I need some phantom power stuff to power it up...and then I need to record my sax into my PC (using Audacity).

Is there a cheaper way than getting the Edirol?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
If you can find one, about 100 british pounds (200 US dollars).

Assuming you have basic sound on board your PC, one of the small Behringers with phantom power should do the job for a good deal less.
Mic > mixer > line out> computer line in, and the job's done.

But the dedicated cheapskate would try a (borrowed?) cheap computer mic (such as those on headsets) and see if that did the job well enough - before splashing the cash.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
I'm from the school of doing the best you can with what you've got. Learning and then moving on.

I second DougR's comment. If your PC has a soundcard installed, pick up a small Behringer Mixer for about $59 (US) that has phantom power ( I have an older model the MX608a) and go into the line input on your PC. Since you already have a mic, (though not one I would use for recording) you are good to go.

One issue I have had with albiet limited experience with USB devices is you or at least I, have not been able to monitor the signal going in while recording. I can hear the backing tracks, but not the horn so I have to monitor that outside the box with a receptor located on the side of my head.

I got great results using an SM58, the Behringer and the on-board soundcard. I have since upgraded.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bill and Doug,

Thanks!!! Now I'm also a computer-idiot. Pls help me.
How do I know whether my pc comes with an on-board soundcard?
How do I know, just by looking at the back of my computer?
Is it the little hole with the "microphone" pic on it?

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Adrian,

can you hear music on your PC, when you download an mp3 for example.

if you can then you have a sound card either a pci card or built into the motherboard. In the task bar on the lower right you should see a small speaker icon, double click that and you will see a control panel. go to the options drop down menu, then to properties, you will then see a dialog box that will have selectiosn for playback (default) and recording. click on recording now you will have check boxes for inputs and outputs. You should see a line input, if it's not checked, select it, and it will show up in your control panel. When you select okay you will see the recording control panel.
Ths is where you select the input you want to use.

there should be at least two mini plug jacks on the PC, one for connecting speakers the other for input. It will probably show a mic, but it you have it selected to line input, it should act as a line input, disabling the built in amplifier.

hope you were able to follow that. if not, ask questions. ;)

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bill

I'm filled with gratitude. Thanks, bro.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bill

Do you run the backing track through the mixer? Or do you just do the sax recording and mix it up using Audacity?

This is where I'm confused. If I'm getting a mixer, shouldnt I be mixing the sax track and the backing track (Analog)...and then using the PC to record that? Or should I just use the mixer (for its phantom power) to record just my sax...and use Audacity software to do the "mixing"?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
What is the source of the "backing track" ?

There are a variety of different answers, which is appropriate depends on what it is you are trying to do.

Is this a Play-along and you want to hear what you sound like?
or
Is the Backing track a part complete project which now needs a sax track?

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
NO,

If the backing track is on CD, rip it to a wav using Media Player or something like CDex. open that track in Audacity, and record along with it. Audacity will start a new track when you hit record.

the mixer is to get your mic level up to line level, and to input other sources in if you need to. But keep the tracks separate.

I have to get back to work on my project... distracted by too many other things.Dang! who ruled there could only be 24 hours in a day?? :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts