Sax on the Web Forum banner

Edge blown flute clarinet

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  milandro 
#1 ·
Some people can just do crazy things. And I guess it saves on reeds.

And his sound on clarinet and Ney in other videos, seems pretty good to me.

Anyway, a bit of Sunday amusement.

#2 ·
#3 ·
Thanks for the links.

I actually baught a Ney a week ago and can manage a couple of very windy octaves. In part, it's an exercise in learning about maqam, rast etc.
And all that, with modes, "quarter" notes etc. is cousins with Klezmer - so the clarinet is getting more attention.

All interesting stuff.

#4 ·
A clarinet is effectively closed at the reed end.
If it is blown like a flute, then it is effectively open at both ends, and by definition, no longer a clarinet.
And this means that the tone holes are all wrong in dimension and especially location.
The player is having to go to extreme lengths including his blowing and also fingering, to overcome this.

There are other instruments without all the key work which have a good scale and enable all that note bending can be done a lot better, eg the Japanese (shakuhachi) flute or Chinese (dizi) flute.
That is, unless there is a total redesign of the tone holes and keywork.

So to me, a rather pointless pursuit.

#6 ·
The player is having to go to extreme lengths including his blowing and also fingering, to overcome this.
The player plays in the Arabic tradition even when using the reed, extreme fingering is required anyway, as is "extreme" - well, very controlled - blowing/embouchure for the Ney!

But, yeah, it probably can't be a "clarinet" as such, the clarion register will be in the wrong place.

I guess, making a satisfactory or even enjoyable sound, while working outside the basic mechanics of the instrument, is a test of skill - an extreme case of using overtones.

#5 ·
Well I don’t think that anyone is suggesting to start playing clarinets, side blown, to play in en ensemble ( by the way, have you read the thread on the upside down clarinet embouchure?) but it can be useful a technique for those who look for a particular effect ( to be used, for example, in movie's soundtracks) or to familiarize oneself with the side blown flutes (there are many but few are available in western countries, I had to look for them seriously, in Tunisia, wasn’t easy to find them).

By the way look into the kavala.

Of course, what this could achieve is that someone would develop a ney with mechanics.

#7 ·
Martin Niethammer, the Educciman ( for some reason none of his video's are on line anymore) would be the ideal candidate to make a ney headjoint to use on a flute or perhaps even on a clarinet.

He made lots of such things.

Similar to this (again for some reason he is no longer on youtube)

This is a Kaval (similar blowing technique to a ney) headjoint for flute

You can practice on your flute even without a headjoint (but the sound won't be as good)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.