Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
One of the nicest, and yet supremely hip, people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting, and I feel privileged to have played with him. Tears flowing...

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
I got to play with him a few times. One time was the San Jose Jazz Festival. I had a great recording of the gig but unfortunately long gone.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
He was someone I saw many times at the Keystone, often alongside James Leary on bass. I saw him with Dexter, Bobby , Joe Henderson, Lee Konitz, and so many more. He always played great and had a great vibe on stage. Sorry to hear of his passing.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yeah, instant tears upon hearing this news. He was in the house band at Keystone and I saw him play with everybody. Those recordings of the Forth Way band were waaay ahead of their time. The last time I saw him, he did a Herb Wong, Palo Alto Jazz Alliance gig where, Herb would get world class players together in great combinations, and let them wing it. The group was Walter Norris, who just got off a plane from Europe, Don Menza who just flew from LA and Rufus Ried who came from New York. Eddie drove down from the City. They met back stage, each wrote three tunes on a napkin, and they came out to play. They made it through five tunes in two hours, just burning! Eddie was all about swing, all about the groove. Thanks man for always playing your heart out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts