Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive known the name Eddie Harris for years, but never really checked out his music.

My big mistake !!

Ive found it now, and find it fantastic !!

Check out this track.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=umdDRvFcUoU

How good is that !!

The rhythm thing he gets in to is what is really interesting to me. Just repeating one or a few notes with a great groove, then adding jumps up to harmonic stuff. Hugely tasty. I love it.

And the sound is really interesting too. Looks like a short shank soloist and a modernish Selmer.
Either a mk7 or an S80 series 1.
Obviously a mark 6 and otto link is not the only way to go !!

I’m going to check him out on You Tube, but any other suggestions re his music would be great

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
Eddie Harris was a phenomenal player and composer. 'Better late than never' to discover a guy like this, I say .
Now, listen to everything you can find of his and you'll be rewarded with some in-credible music. Enjoy !!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,579 Posts
Yep I went through this about 18 months ago, diving deep into his discography and blown away that I'd never really listened to his stuff. Super creative and he could play. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Nice....
I have a video from a weird defunct sky music channel and as they never introduced the track or the band (or I missed it) I took a screen shot of the player and posted it on SOTW some years ago but never did get an answer as to who it might be....with his headgear Eddie Harris is a potential candidate. I need to see if I can find it now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,848 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,008 Posts
Yeah, Eddie Harris was a great player! I first saw him in live performance way back in the early '70s with Les McCann, playing "Compared to What" and "Cold Duck Time", etc. Saw several more times over the years and he always played great, whether he was playing a ballad or funk.

I wore out that "Live at Montreux" album that Frank linked.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
He was a hell of a pianist too. I heard a story of him subbing for Cedar Walton on a gig many years ago. Eddie was deep.

·
Registered
8,026 Posts
I first learned of Eddie Harris through his late 60's hit, "Listen Here" which was on The Electifying Eddie Harris, on which he played the Selmer Varitone, an early attempt to make an electric sax:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsHtO_i4qzM

And this charged up performance of Compared To What, off his album with Les McCann live at the Montreux Jazz Festival:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pejJxEs_v-s&list=PL4ypuAMic-GhjZyNQTNOVZfgv9fP_Cq4A
This has always been one of my favorites for that group. I got to hear him a few times with a real trio at Sweet Basil’s in NYC and he killed it. Amazing and a great composer.

https://youtu.be/4cIHUSHG_WM

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
:love2:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,866 Posts
Eddie has been a favourite of mine for many years. I saw him play a couple of times and met him once. Incredible player. Here's a solo bit on a VII

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Nice....
I have a video from a weird defunct sky music channel and as they never introduced the track or the band (or I missed it) I took a screen shot of the player and posted it on SOTW some years ago but never did get an answer as to who it might be....with his headgear Eddie Harris is a potential candidate. I need to see if I can find it now.
This is your old thread, but the link in it doesn't work (anymore):
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?93145-Who-is-this-please

About Eddie,

For sure a great player, but I've never learned to like his sound (same for Joe H. and Stan G.).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,118 Posts
About Eddie,

For sure a great player, but I've never learned to like his sound (same for Joe H. and Stan G.).
Holy smokes. These are some that I like the most - Eddie Harris and Joe Henderson. Good that there is something for everyone and that we all don't have to like the same.

Eddie Harris has this live album "A Tale of Two Cities" that is a great listen, not just for the music but also because of his comments that are quite funny, including at his own expense.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
2,377 Posts
Back in the 70's when my father was listening to his Boots Randolph albums I brought home an Eddie Harris LP and even (diehard country) he liked it. Glad I found this thread -great reminder of a great player and a great shared interest between my father and I. May they both rest in peace.

·
Registered
8,026 Posts
Sacrilege!
I guess you’re not a Pres fan. They all sound like direct descendants.
I haven’t heard many sounds that I like more than Joe’s.
All three of the guys you mentioned are three who I always felt had the best time feels. Stan was like a damn metronome.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts